Title

Sub Summary and Find frustrations..

I have 2 tables: 

#1)  Members:  MemberID 

LastName etc...

#2) Committee: MemberID.fk

Status   (Drop Down: Active / Inactive)

CommitteeName

Problem#1:  I can't for the life of me get the !!*#&#@@!! sub-summary report to show the CommitteeName or break on the CommitteeName ....  It seems to have a mind of it's own.  Much like a stubborn child.  What is the most common reason for this?

Problem#2:  If I manually FIND using a Status of Active and then select "Perform Find"  FM actually works.  But if I put the same into a script it doesn't????  (Obviously my fault)

Also, the Find dialog doesn't seem to care if I select Status = Active or Status= "Active".  Neither works but it does seem curious that FM doesn't care or notice the diference.

My script is:

GOTO LAYOUT Committees

Show All Records

Enter Find Mode [restore]   (Whatever does 'restore' mean?  Restore what?]

Find details:  Committee::status[Active] or status[="Active"]  neither works.

Perform Find [restore]   (there is the 'restore' thing again???)   :smileysurprised:

When I run the script it reports that there are no records found.  When I manually execute the find, the proper records are found.  When I save the FIND, it looks like my find script step .....  

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Sub Summary and Find frustrations..
          davidhead

1. If the sub-summary is defined to operate when sorted by CommitteeName, then the records should be sorted by CommitteeName before the sub-summaries will be displayed.

2. In your script:

Go to Layout [ Committees ]

Show All Records

Enter Find Mode [restore]   (Whatever does 'restore' mean?  Restore what?]

Find details:  Committee::status[Active] or status[="Active"]  neither works.

Perform Find [restore] 

Both the Show All Records step and the Enter Find Mode step are redundant. All you need is Go to Layout and Perform Find [restore].

The Perform Find step has a stored find. Look at the criteria of the stored find by double-clicking the script step. Check if they look like what you need to be found - status active. If not, you need to edit the criteria.

See how that works for you. 

• 2. Re: Sub Summary and Find frustrations..
            synergy46

David,

Thanks for ideas. 

My FIND request shows STATUS="Active"

When I do it manually it works.  :smileysad:

When I do it  via script, I get "No Records Match This Set of Find Requests"

It seems like the problem is in the FIND part of the script.  It doesn't matter if I use STATUS=Active or STATUS = "Active" I get the above message. 

The sorting on CommitteeName puts the records in the proper Grouping but the FIND is driving me nuts!!! Yikes....  

Thanks

Ron

• 3. Re: Sub Summary and Find frustrations..
              davidhead

So you only have two steps in your script now?

When you double-click the Perform Find script step what do you see? There should be two columns - Action and Criteria. The action should be Find Records and the criteria should read something like:

Committee::status: [active]

Is that what you are seeing? 

• 4. Re: Sub Summary and Find frustrations..
                synergy46

When you double-click the Perform Find script step what do you see? There should be two columns - Action and Criteria. The action should be Find Records and the criteria should read something like:

Committee::status: [active]

Is that what you are seeing? 

My Criteria is FIND RECORDS  |  committee::status: [="Active"]  ah ha... 

When I changed it to [Active] I no longer get the error but it still doesn't work.

Also, my sort doesn't work....

SORT RECORDS [RESTORE; No Dialog]  

I am sorting on the CommitteeName Field and that is what shows in the sort dialog. 

It does work if I sort manually ????? 

THanks

Ron

• 5. Re: Sub Summary and Find frustrations..
                  synergy46

Got it!  Apparently the problem (at least concerning the part that was *not* between my ears) was using Show All.  When I eliminated that, it worked.

Thanks for your efforts and sage advice.  I will try and return it by helping someone else....

Best regards,

Ron