3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2011 8:55 AM by philmodjunk

Sub Summary by multiple fields in one list layout

MartinDobson

Title

Sub Summary by multiple fields in one list layout

I have a list layout showing 'title of CD' in one field and then the royalty for this title in another. There are multiple records for each title with different royalty income. 
      What I need is to sort by CD title on this view and get all the separate records in a list showing the line by line royalty, however after each title I'd like a sub summary of the total royalty of each CD title.
      Is this possible?

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Sub Summary by multiple fields in one list layout
          philmodjunk

Possible and a classic example of why you would  create such a summary report in the first place.

1. Define a summary field that computes the "total of" your royalty field if you have not already done so.
          2. On you list view layout, add a sub summary part "when sorted by" your CD title field.
          3. Place the summary field in this sub summary part.
          4. Return to browse mode and sort yoru records by the CD title field to see the sub totals in the sub summary part.

Note: if You are using FileMaker 9 or earlier, you must either print or preview your report to see the sub totals.

• 2. Re: Sub Summary by multiple fields in one list layout
            MartinDobson

Thanks Phil.

When in browse mode this will only show the sub summed totals. What I need is all the single record totals and then a sub summed total of each cd title on the same view. Not sure if this is possible? I am using FM 9.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Sub Summary by multiple fields in one list layout
              philmodjunk

With FileMaker 9, you must view the report in Preview Mode (And the records must be sorted correctly). In Preview mode or when you print it, you should see both the sub totals and the individual titles not just the sub summary totals.

In Browse mode, you won't see the sub summary parts at all with your version of FileMaker.