8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2015 11:18 AM by weedonpaul

sub summery in a portal????

weedonpaul

Title

sub summery in a portal????

Hi

I have a small PR company that's main service is Time. which is categorised into projects, (i.e. admin, emails, meetings etc). so when we do work for a client we log that time in a time sheet identifying which project it is. time tracking is one table, we also have expenses which go in another table. I have created a layout (based on a third table Invoices,) that has 2 portals one for time and one for expenses and that works fine, but when I print the invoice I would like to have a summery of time spent so for example instead of having every entry of admin on the printed invoice it sums it up under one entry for admin. is it possible to to a sub summery within a portal? or could you suggest a way to sub summary the report and still be able to pull in the expenses. If I do use portals is there a way to make them dynamic so that the grow with my list?

• 1. Re: sub summery in a portal????
          philmodjunk

Sub Summary parts cannot be created inside a portal.

I'd look at setting up a list view layout based on the Time field with no Body, but a sub summary part.

A portal to expenses might be included on a grand summary layout part to show those values.

It's also possible to list each of your Time categories in a portal with a subtotal based on the current invoice with an added table of time categories and a special relationship that "reaches through" the time categories table to match to records in your Time table.

A third option would be to use a single large calculation field to list the time categories and sub totals using the ExecuteSQL() function--but including a proper number format on the results might be difficult.

• 2. Re: sub summery in a portal????
            weedonpaul

Can i stick a portal in a sub summery section? and filter it by kf_invoiceID

• 3. Re: sub summery in a portal????
              philmodjunk

To what purpose? 

Wouldn't this report be for all records with the same value in _kf_invoiceID?

The parent record for such a portal would be the first record in the group of records grouped with that portal as far as I know--so this would work, but it's not clear to me why you would want to put a portal into a sub summary layout part.

• 4. Re: sub summery in a portal????
                weedonpaul

I have got the print invoice layout to work for the time tracking using sub summery by Line items::kf_invoiceID and then sub summery Line items::kf_productID the layout is based on line items. (line items are the occurrences if time management, and products are the different categories ), But I would like to have a portal to show expenses which come from a different table. 

this portal would be looking for all records with the same kf_invoiceID

I also want to have another portal looking at recent invoices and there status. to show when they are overdue.

cheers

• 5. Re: sub summery in a portal????
                  philmodjunk

But why would you put these in a sub summary layout? If you check my original post, I suggested putting them inside a grand summary part..

• 6. Re: sub summery in a portal????
                    weedonpaul

paulwhat is the difference? my layout is:

sub summery by kf_invoice_id followed by sub summery by kf_project_id followed again by sub summery by Kf invoice_id trailing with new page after  and a footer. It works now, but if there is a better way I would be grateful. 

thanks

• 7. Re: sub summery in a portal????
                      philmodjunk

You still haven't explained why you are using a sub summary layout part instead of a trailing grand summary part.

Thus, I don't know if there is a better alternative or not.

• 8. Re: sub summery in a portal????
                        weedonpaul

What is the difference? this is what I was shown but I'm trying to adapt