4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 10:22 AM by philmodjunk

sub totals in a portal?

fluffyone

Title

sub totals in a portal?

hi group

is it possible to have sub totals within a portal?

I have a portal and it is set to group records by a named field, each row has a money value in a field and I would like a subtotal if possible underneath each group i.e:

a = 10
      a = 5
      a = 10
      subtotal a =25
      b = 10
      b = 10
      subtotal b = 20

overall total = 45

I can do the sum of the overall total outside the portal, but I am unsure of the sub totals withing the portal, is this possible?

regards Fluffy

• 1. Re: sub totals in a portal?
          philmodjunk

It's not really practical. If each group were in a separate portal--even a filtered portal, the total for each portal would then give you a sub total.

But inserting a sub total on its own row in the portal would require inserting a record and putting the sub total in a number field. That's not impossible to do, but loads your portal table with extra records and creates a major challenge in trying to keep the sub totals up to date when records are added, deleted, or changed.

• 2. Re: sub totals in a portal?
            fluffyone

Hi Phil

I am not keen on the mulitple portals as it will make the form messy i.e some records may have no entrys or just one entry type in these portals and some records may have 15 differnt types of entries. so i would need to set up many portals just incase and this is just clutter.

as an instance I want to be able to group records by supplier name and subtotal for that supplier and a record may have many different suppliers for different things, but i would like to subtotal each supplier.

I need to give this more thought on what I am trying to acheive, I think i need to get the portals planned properly so that the sub totals and totals can be done on the main form.

regards Fluffy

• 3. Re: sub totals in a portal?
              fluffyone

Hi Phil

Is it possible to have a portal which lists related records to the main form and for each entry created in this main portal a new portal would be created on the form in a list of portals.

the idea being I would create a record in the first main portal this will be the main supplier list and for each supplier added to this portal a new portal would be created which would be to enter product details and costs and list all the entries for the individual supplier.
              this would then let my sub totaling system work i think.

what do you think?

regards Fluffy

• 4. Re: sub totals in a portal?
                philmodjunk

You can't "create" a portal dynamically, but you can have one portal where you see and edit a list of Suppliers and a "detail" portal that lists records related to the current record in the Supplier portal. Edit a field in a different portal row and the detail portal updates to list records for that supplier and so forth...