5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2013 8:25 PM by DanielPinder

Sub-Summaries Failing In FMP12

DanielPinder

Title

Sub-Summaries Failing In FMP12

I was making some cosmetic changes to a printing layout and the behaviour changed somewhere along the way. What happens now is there is a page break at the end of a sorted sub-summary group where there was never before and I cannot figure out what happened or how to fix it.

My db is sorted first by REEL, then by SORT ORDER. Nothing has changed here in the new design.

Have a look at the old way and the new way. Here is how it's SUPPOSED to work; I have provided 4 pages. Note how each REEL's sub-summary finishes and the next REEL starts immediately afterwards:

Right? It all looks fine.

Now, look at the modified layout. I don't know what I did, but here is the result. Let me start by saying nothing has changed in the Part Definition dialogue:

For some reason, there is a page break before every new sub-summary. How can I make that STOP? Just to be clear, I want NO page breaks.

Here is the Part Definition window and Sort Order:

Thanks for any insight. I'm using FileMaker 12.0.5 on a Mac under 10.8.5.

• 1. Re: Sub-Summaries Failing In FMP12
          DanielPinder

I actually think this is a FM12 bug. I created a simple file last night, trying to troubleshoot this, and was able to link it to a few things:

1. Page Setup. Altering the percentage in Page Setup variably shows pages breaking properly or improperly, in an arbitrary fashion. For example, in Preview mode, view the file at 50% in Page Setup, (I can see all 5 sub-summaries in one page) then, change the percentage to 60%. The effect is that there is still plenty of room for the 5th sub-summary, but it is displayed on a second page for no reason. The effect I see when viewing at 100% is that I can see sub-summaries 1 & 2 on page 1, sub-summaries 3-4 on page 2 and sub-summary 5 on a third page.

2. The problem seems to present when you have a sliding text field.

3. The "Allow Part To Break Across Page Boundaries" appears to have zero effect here.

If somebody could try looking at this file, it would help corroborate my findings. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1157092/Failing%20Page%20Breaks.fmp12

• 2. Re: Sub-Summaries Failing In FMP12
            philmodjunk

Enter layout mode and double click the sub summary layout part. I suspect that you have specified a "page break before every [1] occurrence" or some such setting.

• 3. Re: Sub-Summaries Failing In FMP12
              DanielPinder

Hi Phil.

I promise you that I don't. If you try the file from the link provided, you can prove it.

Thank you, you've always been a big help.

DP

• 4. Re: Sub-Summaries Failing In FMP12
                philmodjunk

Sorry, I should have looked at the rest of your screen shot as that would have shown that this is not the case--at least for the sub summary part for which you opened the dialog.

And your follow up post puts a finger on the main issue:

2. The problem seems to present when you have a sliding text field.

This is a known issue with FileMaker.

For More Information see:     Frustrating subsummary bug

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 5. Re: Sub-Summaries Failing In FMP12
                  DanielPinder

Oh crumbs. Well, sadly, I don't have a feasible way to eliminate shrinking text fields, so I may be SOL until they decide this is worth their while to fix. Thanks for the positive ID.