1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 10:15 AM by philmodjunk

Sub-Summary with a Portal

kashaev

Title

Sub-Summary with a Portal

So I have a DB setup for time and expenses tracking by employee number and project.  On my invoice I have it pulling all expenses from a related table and showing through a portal on the printed invoice.  Some projects will have similar expenses being charged by more than one person (such as airfare).  Is there a way to organize the data within the portal so the entries are sorted with the employee's name as a header for each group (Like you would be able to do with a sub-summary)?  I realize I could just include the name of the person on each exp entry in the list but that wouldn't look good on the invoice.  

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Sub-Summary with a Portal
          philmodjunk

You could group them by employee in the portal by sorting the portal records, but an added "sub head" with the employee name is not possible inside the portal unless you also added "dummy" records in the portal's table that served as the sub heads. I'm not a big fan of that approach myself.

If this is for an invoice that will be printed and presented to the customer either in hard copy or as a PDF, I'd not use a portal for that layout at all. I'd use a list view layout based on the portal's table for printing/PDFing the invoice. In addition to many other benefits in using this layout, you can then sort your records by employee and use a Sub Summary part to display the employee's name as a sub heading in the invoice.