3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 12:36 PM by philmodjunk

Subfields

retailmonica

Title

Subfields

Hi--

I'm picking up the program quickly, but I don't know how to accomplish this.  I have 11 Advanced, and my colleague has 9 so I'm hoping there is a solution for both versions.... but I don't know if there is such a thing as a 'subfield' in FM.  I want to have headings under headings.  Here is my situation:

I work at a college.  We have required courses to keep track of, and there are some courses that are a "type" of course that fulfill a requirement, and we want to note it as such.

Thus

Core Requirements

Chem1 = Analytical Req.

Chem 2 = Analytical Req

Chem 3 = Orgo Req

Chem 4 = Orgo Req

Chem 5 = Inorgo Req

Chem6 = Inorgo Req

etc.

So the situation is that there are multiple courses that one could take to fulfill an "Organic Chemistry" Req, but I want to be able to say which one was actually taken, because they only need one, despite all the possibilities.  And I want to have it also show up as a core requirement, which are different from Focus Requirements.  I've tried drop-downs/repeating fields, etc. but they don't really help me the way I want it to.  In Excel, it's easier to do because there are no restrictions with fields. I can merge cells, and voila, there's a header to these fields.  I'd like something similar.  I basically want to layer my fields.

Can this be done?  I don't want to have to compromise on this if possible, partially because I'm trying to get my colleague *out* of Excel and into FM, and this is only coming up as a score for Excel.

Thanks for your help,

Ashley

• 1. Re: Subfields
          philmodjunk

It would help to see an example of what you mean by "headings under headings"

Are looking for something like this?

Core Requirements

Analytical

Chem 1

Chem 2

Organic

Chem 3

Chem 4

Inorganic

Chem 5

Chem 6

If so, that can easily be done with a summary report. Here's a link to a simple tutorial on setting up summary reports that you may find useful:

Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial

If I am misunderstanding, please post back with an example.

• 2. Re: Subfields
            retailmonica

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your answer.  Let me see if I can show you better with a table....

So here we have the same categories, Analytical, Organic, Inorganic, and Physical, and yet I have them also as Core or Focus courses.  As far as Analytical Chem courses go, there are some that count as a core course, and some that count as a focus one.  Every student has to take the four core areas, and thus should have one course for each, though it doesn't have to be the same one.  Taking 142, 144, or 146 will count as a Core Analytical course, but not for a Focus Analytical course.  On top of that, there is no specific focus that any student should have, and they may have more than one, as shown above.  Ideally I would like a value list for each individual subfield (I know that may just be a dream for me).

As you can see, in Excel, I have a cell that is just merged across and then I can write a super-heading above my field headings, so that way you know which are which.  At the moment, my answer in FM is to name the fields "C-Analytical", "C-Organic" vs. "F-Analytical", "F-Organic".... but I find that to be kinda lame.  I'm hoping I don't have to go that route.

By using repeating fields, it ends up more like this:

And now I don't know which ones are analytical, which ones are organic, etc.  Again, I'd rather not have to go "144-A" or "125-O"

Any thoughts?  I don't think the summary report is what I need, but let me know if I'm mistaken.

Thanks again for your help, Phil,

Ashley

• 3. Re: Subfields
              philmodjunk

You can do the exact layout you specify, it just requires a list view layout ( instead of table view ) to put the right data in the right column. In a list view layout, you don't have to use the fields' internal field names as column headers--you can use any layout text you prefer and you can add layout text to the layout to provide the Core and Focus headings.