3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 7:09 AM by philmodjunk

Submit form and display blank record in FileMaker Pro 12/13

JosephFalduti

Title

Submit form and display blank record in FileMaker Pro 12/13

Hi,

I'm using FM 12/13 to create reports for employees to fill out in FileMaker.  I would ideally like this to be structured as follows:

1) When they go to the layout there is a blank record in front of them

2) They fill out the form and hit a Submit button to commit the record.

3) They are then shown the blank form again after committing the record.

They do not need to be able to scroll through and see all of the records.

Is there a way to make this happen?  (Note that most of the users will be accessing this in FM Go for iPad.)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Submit form and display blank record in FileMaker Pro 12/13
          philmodjunk

If you select Form View for your layout, you will see only one record at a time. New Record/Request  is what a submit button can use to create that new blank record. When you first access this layout, a script can search for a blank record and create one if such is not found.

An Alternative approach is to set up a second set of fields with global storage in a different table. The user enters data into the global fields to fill out the form. When they click Submit, the script creates a new record and uses set field to copy the contents of the global fields to corresponding non-global fields in the new record and then a second set of set field steps with "" as the calculated result clears the global fields to prep the layout for the next report submission.

• 2. Re: Submit form and display blank record in FileMaker Pro 12/13
            JosephFalduti

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much.  The thing that I'd like to avoid is users being able to see the other form submissions.  If I use your first method, which is easier for sure, the users would still be able to scroll through the previous responses.  In addition, on creation each user's account name fills in a field automatically.  So if a new record was created immediately on submission, the new record would automatically have their account name.

Would that be the case with the second with the second method you noted?

I'm basically looking for something that will behave like a web form.  Blank upon loading, submits, and then no record of the submissions on the front end, only in the backend table.

Thanks so much.

• 3. Re: Submit form and display blank record in FileMaker Pro 12/13
              philmodjunk

The global field based submission form avoids those issues, but there are also ways to avoid them with the first method.

The thing that I'd like to avoid is users being able to see the other form submissions.

You can use a script to isolate the new blank record as the only record in the found set. If you then hide/lock the status toolbar and use a custom menu that drops out certain menu options that can bring up other records, their only options for accessing data become those you control with scripted buttons on the form.

if a new record was created immediately on submission, the new record would automatically have their account name.

You might change this field to auto-enter this info when the field is modified instead of when it is created. You could also use a script to update the auto-entered info when the record is committed.