Subsections and repeating sections in a report
Without getting into a lot of details, I'm trying to create a stock trading database, and I'm a bit stuck on how to design printed reports. Let's start with a really simple database schema:
- Trade <--(1..1)-----(1..n)--> Unit
- Trade <--(1..1)-----(0..n)--> Log Entry
In other words,
- Every Trade is associated with one or more Units.
- Every Unit is associated with one and only one Trade.
- Every Trade is associated with one or more Log Entries.
- Every Log Entry is associated with one and only one Trade.
Let's say that every Trade has three fields: T1, T2, and T3. Every Unit has three fields: U1, U2, and U3. And every Log Entry as three fields: LE1, LE2, and LE3. I'd like to create a report/layout that generates the following output for each Trade included in the report:
T1, T2, T3
Unit 1: U1, U2, U3
Unit 2: U1, U2, U3
Unit n: U1, U2, U3
Log Entry 1: L1, L2, L3
Log Entry 2: L1, L2, L3
Log Entry n: L1, L2, L3
In other words, my report/layout would have two "subreports" -- Units and Log Entries --- each of which repeat data for all the associated records.
This is a pretty common need in most database applications, but I just don't see how it's supported in FileMaker.
I assume a solution would involve sub-summary parts of reports/layouts, but I don't see how it's possible to define two sub-summaries at the same level.
Any help would be appreciated.