Filemaker conveniently gives you that character as a button in the Define Calculation dialogue, so if you have all of your text in a field called TextField (for example), then you could create another field called TextFieldWithReplacement, defined as a calculation:
Substitute ( TextField; "¶"; "</p><p>")
Of course! How could I have missed that? Thanks very much - works perfectly, as you might expect. I scoured every available bit of documentation and couldn't find any help on this problem. Thy reward shall be in heaven.
Incidentally, you don't need the quote marks around the paragraph marker symbol in the formula.
what about inserting a tab character inside a calculated text field.
for ex. if i want to have a calc field that actually is an aggregate of 3 other fields but i want the calc field to separate each of the 3 fields by a tab char. how can i do this.
For that, you need to type a tab character in a word processing application, copy it, and then paste it into the calculation dialog between double quotes.
If you have FileMaker Pro Advanced, you can create a custom function which is a tab character for use in calculations.
i tried it doing this way for a field called NameFULL defined as:
NameFirst1 & TabChar & NameLast1
where TabChar is a tab copied from MS Word inside 2 quotes " " and it is a calc field set to "text" result.
then i tried exporting NameFULL but no tab shows up in the text editor where i opened the test.tab file.
I don't mean to intrude, but I tried the suggestion and it worked perfectly for me. Maybe you need to be careful what format you export the data as: I always use 'Merge File Format' unless I have a reason not to.
I picked up a Tab character from Word, created a calculation field as you suggested, exported the data in Merge File format, and opened the resulting file in Word. I highlighted all the text and moved the 'tab' marker around. The text split and followed the tab-marker movements perfectly.
Edit: Out of interest I opened the same merge file in Excel, and set the field Delimiter to be 'Tab'. I expected this to separate my 'NameFirst' and 'NameLast' into two adjacent columns, but it didn't. It kept the full name in one cell, with that little square symbol (always denoted previoulsy a spurious Control character when I'd made a mistake in data entry) where the Tab character was. So maybe there's a 'tab character, a 'tab character', and then the 'tab character' that Excel sees...
I don't have time to do this right now (got a plane to catch, checkin 5am!) but some text editors (eg Textwrangler on a Mac) can be made to display the codes of the characters in a piece of text. So it would be possible to open your exported text and see what 'tab character' you are dealing with.
thanks kindly for the help. i think i got it mostly worked out using Merge File as the export file type option. only problem is that it surrounds each row with quote marks. so i need to open a text editor to get rid of the quote marks. a bitch but for sure better than before.
I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages).