3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 2:23 PM by TSGal

Substitution Calculation

HCPR

Title

Substitution Calculation

I'm trying to find out if there's a way to calculate totals from options in a drop down menu.

I use filemaker to keep school attendence and I have a drop down menu with options for present, absent and tardy.  I would really like to create fields that can calculate the total for each category.

I have tried messing around with the functions available on my own without any luck.  I would appreciate any ideas or advice :)

Alana

• 1. Re: Substitution Calculation
          Kundinger

Hi "Alana",

In simple terms...

You need a "Sub-Summary part" in your layout that is based on sorting your records by field "P-A-T".  This "part" needs a summary field that is a total for field "P-A-T".

Let me know if you need clarification!

I hope this helps... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger

• 2. Re: Substitution Calculation
            HCPR

Hm..I'm not sure I understand what you're recommending...I tried creating a sub-summary part, but could only sort by fields not by the information entered.

Not sure if this a confusion over how I explained the problem the first time or how I'm understanding the solution.

Alana

• 3. Re: Substitution Calculation
              TSGal

Alana:

Thank you for your posts.

In your school attendance table, it sounds like you have a field formatted as a drop-down for "present", "absent" and "tardy".  If you sort ascending on this field, all of the "absent" records will be listed first, followed by the "present" records, and finally the "tardy" records.

Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database" and select the "Fields" tab (if not done so already).  Create a new field "Total Status", and to the right of that, click the pop-up that probably says "Text" and select "Summary".  When you click "Create", you will be given options for the Summary field.  On the left side, select "Count of", and under Available Fields, select your Status field (that holds "present", "absent" and "tardy").  Press OK twice to exit.

Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  Under the Layouts menu, select "New Layout/Report".  In the next dialog box, select the layout type as Columnar list/report and click Next.  On the next screen, select "Report with grouped totals", check "Include subtotals", and click Next.  On the next screen, select the fields you want displayed and click Next.  In the Organize records by category dialog box, move the Status field (present, absent, tardy) to the report categories column, and click Next.  Sort your records by the Status field and click Next.  Under Summary field, select the "Total Status" field that we created in the preceding paragraph and click Next.  On the next screen, change to default and click Next.  Finally, click Next a few more times, and you will see the information in Preview mode.  Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode" to make changes to the layout.  In any case, you should see your totals for present, absent and tardy.

If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.