8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2009 2:13 PM by comment_1

Subsummary displays in Browse mode?

BobSchwenkler

Title

Subsummary displays in Browse mode?

I'm working on figuring out how subsummaries work and am getting somewhere, but they only seem to work in Preview mode. I want to use the subsummary function to facilitate data enty in Browse mode. Is there a way to do this?

• 1. Re: Subsummary displays in Browse mode?
          Sorbsbuster

Sub-summaries have always only displayed in Preview mode, and I have to say I have always found it to be one of those 'obvious things they'll give us in the next release'  since about 1992.  Presumably there is some huge technical reason why it can't be achieved.  The nearest I've ever come to it (and it's some distance away) is to use the GetSummary function and display the result of the associated subsummary break in the body of the records.

If all you want it to do is, say, show someone a running total so they can enter it or make an evaluation or something, then you could let them do their data entry, click a 'Calculate' button, which would sort by the appropriate break-field, then display in that entry form the subsummary value as calculated by the GetSummary function.

Sub-summary parts also show in Form View, but as far as I can see they act like Grand Summary parts then.

Alan.

• 2. Re: Subsummary displays in Browse mode?
            BobSchwenkler

Hm.

A summary field won't do at all what I want it to do. What I have is a database that will track promotional efforts for albums for my record company. Per promotional campaign we may have multiple albums we are promoting, and all of these albums will be going out to hundreds of places (let's say radio stations for the moment).

When we make followup contact I want to be able to track notes for each album in relation to each radio station. I've got the relational database figured out quite well. When we're calling I'd like to be able to have a list of all the radio stations running down the page with each of the albums and their associated portal for note entry. Graphically, the outline of the layout would look like:

Station 1

Album 1 [notes]

Album 2 [notes]

Station 2

Album 1 [notes]

Album 2 [notes]

etc. So that whoever is making calls or doing emails can just scroll down the list of stations and make notes for each album as they do so.

Any ideas for an alternative way to implement this?

• 3. Re: Subsummary displays in Browse mode?
              comment_1

Sub-summary parts DO show in Browse mode in version 10.

In previous versions, you could build a somewhat similar display:

Station 1   Album 1

Album 2

Album 3

Station 2   Album 1

Album 2

Album 3

with the Station field being either calculated or conditionally formatted to display only in the first record of the category.

Or you could show the stations in a portal, select one and see the relevant albums in a second portal. 

• 4. Re: Subsummary displays in Browse mode?
                BobSchwenkler

Cool, thanks.

And another slightly unrelated question: In the layout that I've described above, each album/station combo has a unique ID number stored in a table. This is the table the layout is based upon. Each album/station has a portal to view notes specific to this combo, but it seems there is something special I need to do to be able to create a new record that will show up into the portal and let me type the next line of notes, it's not doing this automatically.

I can think of how do do this with a script-button, but is there anyway to automatically have it do this each time information is entered into a new line item. Ie. there is always a new record in each portal waiting to be typed into, and once data has been entered another one is created and ready to type into again.

• 5. Re: Subsummary displays in Browse mode?
                  comment_1
                     You need to allow creation of records on the Notes side of the relationship's definition.
                  • 6. Re: Subsummary displays in Browse mode?
                    BobSchwenkler
                       Thanks so much for the help. I'm working to set up a fairly complicated database my first time around and it would be a lot rougher without a forum like this!
                    • 7. Re: Subsummary displays in Browse mode?
                      BobSchwenkler
                         Is is possible to use conditional formatting to change object/field border widths/colors? I'm using the conditional formatting method which works fine for the text, but I'm not seeing how to do it for objects (lines) or field borders.
                      • 8. Re: Subsummary displays in Browse mode?
                        comment_1
                           Alas, FMI didn't consider this necessary. But you could place another object behind the field and make it slightly bigger.