7 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 2:15 PM by philmodjunk

Subsummary part layout

ferdi

Title

Subsummary part layout

hello;

I have a report that contains subsummary parts. I would like to structure my subsummary layout parts next to each other (side by side) instead of below each other. Is there anyway to achieve that? 

Thanks

• 1. Re: Subsummary part layout
          philmodjunk

Not with a sub summary layout part.

Can you post an example or at least an outline of what you want to see? Perhaps we can suggest an alternate approach that produces the same result.

• 2. Re: Subsummary part layout
            ferdi

Here, i hope that will help.

• 3. Re: Subsummary part layout
              philmodjunk

I only see one sub summary part in a single column. Arranged side by side, how would it look?

Do you want this in two columns?

For printing, PDF's and preview mode, you can enter layout setup, and specify a two column format for your layout if that's what you want here.

• 4. Re: Subsummary part layout
                ferdi

This is how it looks, actually how i want it to look.

• 5. Re: Subsummary part layout
                  philmodjunk

How is the data structured? Can you get the single column report shown in your single column example?

If so, then you can use (probably filtered) portals to produce this report layout. The exact details depend on the structure of your data and what each row shown above represents. I can see that you have totals for each year, but can't tell if the rows listed underneath represent 12 records, 1 for each year for items 3, 4 and 5 or if these are also subtotals where 3,4 and 5 would represent categories of some sort.

The key trick is that a summary field defined in the portal's table will accurately reflect an aggregate value (sum, average, count, etc.) that will be controlled by both the relationship and the portal's filter.

• 6. Re: Subsummary part layout
                    ferdi

I am little confused here. When you talk about 'data structure', do you mean how the database structured or how the report layout is structured? 

I have attached my report layout for you to have an idea how i designed my report and how i used my subsummary. The numbers 3, 4 ,5 represents months of the years by the way. 

• 7. Re: Subsummary part layout
                      philmodjunk

I need to know both really, but also asked about what each row and value in your report represents.

I see from you last post that each value is eather a yearly or monthly sub total.

Thus, the first row in your previous example gave monthly totals for March in the years 2009 through 2011.

Set up a report table with 12 records. One for each month of the year. I use such a report for a 5 year comparison report here where I work. I use a serial number to populate a month field with the numbers 1 through 12. I use a script trigger that counts the records in this table and if they ever fail to be 12 records (such as after deploying an updated copy of the file), the script deletes all records, resets the next serial value to 1 and creates 12 new records.

Set up this relationship between the summaryReport table and your SalesData table. (I'm guessing at table names so use yours in place of mine.)

SummaryReport::AnyField = SalesData::AnyField

This of course, matches to all sales data. To get just the data for a given year will require portal filtering.

Define a summary field in SalesData that computes your sales total.

Set up a list view layout based on the SummaryReport table.

Put two one line portals in a column, one above the other. Put the upper portal inside the header. Give the upper portal this type of filter:

Year ( get ( CurrentDate ) ) = Year ( SalesData::SalesDate )

Put the summary field from SalesData in this single row portal and you'll get the total sales for the current year.

Use this portal filter for the portal in the body:

SummaryReport::Month = Month ( SalesData::SalesDate ) AND
                      Year ( get ( CurrentDate ) ) = Year ( SalesData::SalesDate )

use the same summary field to get monthly totals for the current year.

At this point you can copy and paste these two portals and modify their portal filters to specify different years. Here's the monthly total filter for the previous year:

SummaryReport::Month = Month ( SalesData::SalesDate ) AND
                      Year ( get ( CurrentDate ) ) - 1 = Year ( SalesData::SalesDate )

Note: you can also use a global field for the Left column year to make the year shown in the first column selectable By entering/selecting a year in that field and then each subsequent colum uses filters that subtract from the global field. If you use that approach, use this relationship in order to get the filtered portals to smoothly update each time you edit the value in this global field:

SummaryReport::GlobalYearField = SalesData::AnyField