3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 2:13 PM by philmodjunk

Succesive Portals Issue

tsampazis

Title

Succesive Portals Issue

I set up a patients'  records database for my private practice, largely based on the two (or more) portal rows trick (thanks to Guy Stevens amazing video tutorial). This immensly helped me to organise different GROUPSof attendances (presented in the 1st portal) i.e gyne related, Gestation related, urology related ect. to corresponding LISTS of attendances presented in a 2nd portal. Each set of attendances is displayed in the 2nd portal by selecting the appropriate portal row in the 1st portal.

My problem is that, I cannot find a way to have the value of the Date-field "Last Menstrual Period" from a SELECTED portal row (in the 1st portal) automatically copied to another date-field (in the second portal), in the matched set of records(portal rows).  This would allow me to make date calculations for each portal row / gestation attendance; each attendance obviously has a different Date of occurence but all are  based on the "Last Menstrual Period" (unique for the particular "Gestation" in the 1st portal row). Otherwise  I would have to manually enter the same value of the "Last Menstrual Period" each time an attendance entry (for the particular gestation) occurs, which is kind of annoying.

For the available functions I used I noticed that, filemaker uses the value of the 1st record (in the 1st portal) and not the one of the selected record / portal row. How can I work this out?

• 1. Re: Succesive Portals Issue
          philmodjunk

I'm sure it's a great video, but since I haven't watched it, I don't know the exact details of what you set up. Does it match the method shown here?

Need layout solution for nested portals...

My problem is that, I cannot find a way to have the value of the Date-field "Last Menstrual Period" from a SELECTED portal row (in the 1st portal) automatically copied to another date-field (in the second portal), in the matched set of records(portal rows).

And what determines WHICH of the records in that portal should get this value? All of them? the next new record created? One that is selected by a mouse click? (Click a row in portal 1 to bring up group and then click a row in portal 2 to set the date field in that clicked row?)

All would seem to match your description of the issue. Many of them could be made to work if clicking the row in portal 1 were to set a global variable to the contents of that portal row's date field. But how you move the date from that global variable will depend on the details of exactly what you want to see happen in the second portal.

It's also possible to drag and drop data from a field in portal 1 into a field in portal 2...

• 2. Re: Succesive Portals Issue
            tsampazis

PhilModJunk, thank you for your response!

Despite the mess of my description you seem to have fully grasped the Idea. To give an answer to your pertinent questions, I would like that, the value in question being auto-inserted in every new record created in the 2nd/"slave" portal. That' s all it is! Now, regarding the portals' setup, it does actually, match your description in your link! So, like I said initially, everything I could imagine to use in order to have the value of that particular field in the selected portal row (master portal) being auto-copied in a similar field in every new record created in the slave portal, the value filemaker choose to copy is that of the 1st record in the master portal and not the value in the selected record. Although dragging n dropping the value manually (or inserting the same value again) in the target field, all look effective, you will agree they don't sound as attractive options at all, in terms of data entry efficiency. Any ideas how get it auto-copied?

• 3. Re: Succesive Portals Issue
              philmodjunk

Several of the Starter solutions use the following method on their iPhone layouts so that they can add a new record on a child table layout that is automatically linked to the current parent record. It should work for you was well.

Open up field options for your date field in Portal 2's table.

Specify an auto-enter calculation and specify the global variable name as the sole term of this calculation. When you click a portal row in portal 1, your script loads a variable and then each new record in portal 2 will auto-enter that variable's value when you create the new record.

The main "catch" to look out for is to be sure to always have the correct value in the global variable. In some cases, you may need to clear that variable to keep the wrong value from appearing in the field.