6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2013 7:48 AM by douglerner_1

Suddenly performance has slowed to a crawl. Why? (FM Pro 10 Advanced)

douglerner_1

Title

Suddenly performance has slowed to a crawl. Why? (FM Pro 10 Advanced)

I've hardly done anything yet - added 3 tables and 41 records to my Customers table. I've just barely started adding to my Contacts table and all of a sudden everything has slowed to a crawl. Even changing between Layout and Browse beachballs for a while. And trying to move fields around in a layout is taking forever. This suddenly started happening.

What could be the cause of this? I'm not really doing anything yet - just adding fields and data. And it's not that much data.

Thanks,

doug

• 1. Re: Suddenly performance has slowed to a crawl. Why? (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
          davidanders

Beachballs means Mac?   Model? RAM? OSX version? Activity Monitor in Utilities can show RAM use - green is good.

A backup (you do, don't you) shows the same symptom?  If a new user is created, login and test, same symptoms?

• 2. Re: Suddenly performance has slowed to a crawl. Why? (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
            douglerner_1

Sorry - more info needed!

•           Beachballs means Mac. It's a spinner that shows while waiting to do something. Everybody hates them.
            •      
            •           Model is iMac late 2009 21.5".
            •      
            •           RAM is 12 GB.
            •      
            •           OS X version is 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
            •      
            •           Activity Monitor in Utilities shows at least 1.2 GB green (free)
            •      
            •           Important point - all other apps are running quickly: browsers, Mail, OmniFocus, terminal, iTunes, Skype, Evernote. It's just FileMaker that has slowed to a crawl. Even entering new data, going from field to field is painfully slow. Last night when entering data in my first table (Customers) there were no speed problems at all. This started happening as I was adding fields to the layout of my 2nd table (Contacts).

I have Time Machine and CCC backups. But I just created this database yesterday new and set everything up and would hate to lose everything from the get-go after all this work.

Since all my other apps are running fine I think it must be something with FM. What are causes of it suddenly slowing down? Is it thinking through the relational links I added today? (That feature is pretty cool by the way. I love the way it updates everywhere). I only have a few links though so far.

By the by, nobody has remarked on the fact I am using FM 10 Pro Advanced. No urgency to upgrade to 11 or 12 I assume?

Thanks for your assistance.

doug

p.s. I wonder why my bulleted lists don't show up as bulleted lists in my post.

• 3. Re: Suddenly performance has slowed to a crawl. Why? (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
              davidanders

FMP 10 is not tested and confirmed compatible for MLion, even FMP 11 has symptoms for a very few people.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9710/~/mac-os-x-lion-compatibility-with-filemaker-10-and-earlier-and-bento-4.0.5-and

Mac OS X Lion compatibility with FileMaker 10

If you have 12 Gb of RAM and had only 1.2Gb free at the time, I would restart and run just FMP for a test.

Restart with Shift key down (Safe Mode) and test.

• 4. Re: Suddenly performance has slowed to a crawl. Why? (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
                douglerner_1

Easy to say, hard to do while multi-tasking. :)

I'm running a report via an online connection for a customer and if I restart now I think the process will quit. (It's not using resources on my side, it's all on an external server, but I don't want to lose the connection.)

However - I do have good news. I tried something simpler that I really should have tried right away. I simply quit and restarted FileMaker itself. And now everything is speedy like it was yesterday!

Maybe there is a bug in FileMaker where it sometimes gets tongue-tied or something?

Anyway, thanks for your assistance. It's nice have a supportive user-to-user forums.

doug

• 5. Re: Suddenly performance has slowed to a crawl. Why? (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
                  JimMac

The "beachball" spiral is nice graphic, but yuk to get.  It is generated by a MacOS wait.  Try Option+Command+Escape to see who is waiting.  I suspect it is your network or external devices which you can see under...File|Manage|Externals... in the FMP menu.  You DB is probably waiting to find an external file or send on a busy net.

Jim...

• 6. Re: Suddenly performance has slowed to a crawl. Why? (FM Pro 10 Advanced)
                    douglerner_1

There were no external devices involved, and no network access involved or external files. And everything else was running fine, including my browsers.

All I had to do in the end was quit FM and start FM again and everything was running speedily. I really think it was just something internal to FM itself where it was having its own problems.

doug