4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 2:29 PM by philmodjunk

Suggestions for CD Track Listings

leftear13

Title

Suggestions for CD Track Listings

Hi,

Our database consists of Audio CDs.  We are trying to figure out the best way to add track listings for each. We thought of using a repeating field, but those field types cannot be exported.  We thought to setup a new table with multiple fields, one for each track, and then relating the track table to the product table, but creating 15, 25, even 50 fields for each track seems redundant.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: Suggestions for CD Track Listings
          philmodjunk

Set up a related table linked to your table of CD's. Create one record in this table for each track in the CD.

• 2. Re: Suggestions for CD Track Listings
            leftear13

Okay, I've done this. Fields in my TrackListing table are ItemNo(which is related to the ItemNo on the Products Table),  TrackNumber and TrackName.  I have created a portal on my Products layout as well.  TrackNumber is set as auto-enter serial value starting with 1.   I entered the track listing for Product A, there are 12 tracks total.  However, when moving on to enter track listing for Product B, the TrackNumber autopopulated as 13 when entering the first track for Product B, but should start with 1 (different track listing for a different Product).

How can I get each Products Track listing to start with 1 and build in increments of 1 for each Product?

• 3. Re: Suggestions for CD Track Listings
              philmodjunk

It appears that you have set up this relationship:

Products::ItemNo = Tracks::ItemNo

but you aren't limited to a single "box" in the relationships graph for any one table in your database. Add a second Table Occurrence of Tracks and link it like this:

Tracks::ItemNo = Tracks|SameCD::ItemNo

Then your Track Number field can be set to auto-enter:

Max ( Tracks|SameCD::TrackNumber ) + 1

Be sure to clear the "do not evaluate if all referenced fields are empty" check box.

Be sure to clear the "do not replace existing value..." check box.

• 4. Re: Suggestions for CD Track Listings
                philmodjunk

Repeating fields really aren't a good design choice 90% or more of the time. You just give up way too much flexibility when it comes to working with the repeated data.