AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sum a number field of all records IF another field is equal to something.

Question asked by lohr-lcs on Dec 25, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Sum a number field of all records IF another field is equal to something.

First, I'm about a week in to File Maker.  Doing my best to get out of Microsoft Access and am starting with a personal database I wrote for myself.  So I'm replicating in File Maker.  I'm really struggling with the logic differences between File Maker and Access.  It's definitely a different animal so I'm out of my comfort zone.

Simple question:  I want to sum all records for the [cost] field IF the [category] fields equals 'savings'.

I can create a found set easy enough and create a summary field from the found set BUT, I want a layout where all records are shown, but at the top there is a summary of how much money is in the 'savings' account.

In Access it's a 2 second problem:  Create a feild where the control calcuation = Sum(IIf([Type]="Savings",[Cost])).  Done.

What I've read so far talks about relationship joins which I'm struggling to think would be required.  I also am struggling because there are no 'Queries' which was straight forward to me.  The found sets (when saved) are not chooable when doing calculations.  I'm not following that but perhaps someone can elighten me.

-Mike

Outcomes