3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 12:08 PM by philmodjunk

Summaries, Grand Totals, etc. (How can I make it work?)

cheathamtech

Title

Summaries, Grand Totals, etc. (How can I make it work?)

I have several records from several teachers...

Each teacher makes several tickets for each course for each week.  Teacher A has (for example) Week A  for Chemistry Monday - Friday...

(There are fields for week choice/teacher/course/day of week)

Ideally I'd like to have a layout for the teacher to see his classes divided by Week/Course/Day for him to click on to navigate to his old plans or the current ones...

Like this:

January 1-5

Chemistry

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Physics

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

January 8-12

Chemistry

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

etc.,

Then when the teacher clicks on his Wednesday, Chemistry, January 8-12 ticket, FMP takes him to that ticket...

I think this can be done through summaries or parts or ???  I think once I get the first few steps the rest will be obvious.

• 1. Re: Summaries, Grand Totals, etc. (How can I make it work?)
          philmodjunk

Two date fields will be key here I think.

ClassDate--ordinary date field. This field can be formatted on your layout to just display the name of the day of the week if you want.

cWeekStart: ClassDate-DayofWeek(ClassDate) + 1  This calculation returns the Sunday date for all dates of the same week, so records for the same week will have this value in common.

cWeekLabel: MonthName ( cWeekStart ) & " " & Day(WeekStart) & "-" & Day (WeekStart) + 4   will be a useful label.

With These fields You can create a list view layout with cWeekLabel placed in a sub summary part When sorted by cWeekStart.

Then sort your records first by cWeekStart, then by Class Date. (in versions of FileMaker older than version 10, this layout can only be viewed in Preview Mode.)

• 2. Re: Summaries, Grand Totals, etc. (How can I make it work?)
            cheathamtech

Phil..  thanks for your reply...

I'm sure it's not as efficient as your approach, but I already have the records successfully showing the Week Choice (January 1-4), the Course Choice (Chemistry) and the Day of the Week (Tuesday).  All of those fields are in the same table called "Plans."

I have another table with the teachers' names.

It's been a struggle but I have FMP 11 able to make the records for teachers as they create lesson plans..

Now I need a way for a teacher to easily get back to the plans he has already created.

I tried the list view... and it seemed to work, but then when I tried to make it show just one teacher's group of plans it gave me only one column of info (a list of days of the week... very odd).  And I can find no way to get back to edit the summary, etc., parts of an existing layout...  Like the sort order, for example, how can I get back to that once I create the layout... very frustrating.  I have to start over with a brand new layout each time I want to tweak/test a layout.

I just want a teacher to hit a button, be taken to a layout with only his records, sorted first by week, then by course, then by day...  then I want him to be able to click on Week Seven's Chemistry lesson for Tuesday and be taken to that lesson plan...  Seems like it should be easy but it's a challenge I can't conquer..

Thanks Phil...  You've helped me many times when I meant to write a thank you and just didn't.  Please know I and I am sure many others appreciate the work you do...

• 3. Re: Summaries, Grand Totals, etc. (How can I make it work?)
              philmodjunk

You shouldn't have to start over with a new layout each time. In layout mode, you should be able to see and modify all existing layout parts--including the sub summary part if you have one.

Sub Summary parts are only visible in browse and print/preview if the records are sorted in a sort order that includes the "sorted by" field specified for the sub summary part. (This is also called the "break" field.) Make sure that you specifically sort the records by this field or the sub summary parts will not be visible.