1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 11, 2014 1:12 PM by philmodjunk

Summarizing demographics

JohnD6547

Title

Summarizing demographics

I'm new to FileMaker, so please bear with what seems like it should be a simple question.  I have a table of people that includes information fields like age, gender (designated by M or F), ethnicity etc.  In addition, each person belongs to one of 6 groups, identified in a field named Group by a number from 1 to 6.

I'd like to generate a layout that summarizes the demographics of this collection, first for all members and then by group, including pie charts that show gender and ethnicity breakdowns.  However, I can't figure out how to get the charts to behave.  I have my table sorted by group, but when I try to create a gender or ethnicity pie chart in a subsummary report, I get a single slice for each member of the group.  I must be missing something obvious, but I can't figure out what it is.

• 1. Re: Summarizing demographics
          philmodjunk

Chart objects have their limitations. The sort that will produce the needed groups may not be the sort you need for your found set for your summary report. You may need to use the delimited data data source option and a calculation using ExecuteSQL to produce the data you need for your pie charts.