3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 8:47 AM by philmodjunk

Summarizing print count from Printer Report

JohnAbenaim

Title

Summarizing print count from Printer Report

Hey

I am trying to make a database to keep track of the # of prints and fax my customer are doing to invoice them. 

I have been doing it manually with the excel report that i get from the printer, but it is time consuming and messy. 

There is approximately 100 customers and i would like to import the excel report to the database so that it recognize each customers already in the database and just give me a total for the month. It would be great to have the new clients added as well.                                                                      

Any thought on what will be requested for this project? For sure a Customer Table will be a starting point. 

Thanks for your help

• 1. Re: Summarizing print count from Printer Report
          philmodjunk

How much about FileMaker do you know at this point?

Import Records can import the data from an Excel File into FileMaker.

A summary field can compute a total over multiple records in a found set or a related set of records.

A summary report with a summary field can compute sub totals for different groups of records in the same report.

• 2. Re: Summarizing print count from Printer Report
            JohnAbenaim

Hello Phil, 

I have done a database once with couple tables. 

Is there such a feature to keep importing the same report every month to update my database?

The excel report that i get from the printer is as follow: Account name, Print color, print B&W, Copy Color...

Every month, i need to find out how many print each customer did. The account name will vary from month to month as customers come and go. 

How would you do that?

• 3. Re: Summarizing print count from Printer Report
              philmodjunk

Is there such a feature to keep importing the same report every month to update my database?

A script could be set up to do this automatically.

How would you do that?

There's a lot you don't say about what you want to do that might change my answer, but most probably, I'd do what I described in my first post: I'd import the records and use a summary report with sub summary parts, sorting and finds to produce the needed report(s).

Here's a tutorial on summary reports that you may find helpful: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial