I want to sort by a field (called Cat) theend of that group of records show the total of the group
- Set up a layout for this that will be viewed in List View.
- Add a layout part called a sub summary layout part. Select "when sorted by Cat" as the "break" field for this sub summary layout part.
- Select the "Print Below" option when you click OK to finish setting up this new layout part.
- Place a summary field in this sub summary layout part that you've defined to compute the total of the field from which you need a total for the group.
- Enter browse mode and sort your records by Cat to make this new layout part become visible and display the desired sub total.
using FileMaker 10 but every time I create a empty database it defaults to fp7
This is normal. FileMaker 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 all use exactly the same file format. All use exactly the same .fp7 file extension.