11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 1:03 PM by philmodjunk

Summary based on Value NOT decimal

KM

Title

Summary based on Value NOT decimal

I currently have a summary field based off the total of a producer field.  Is there a way to have the summary field total the numbers based off the rounded numbers shown NOT the decimal numbers behind it??

My summary field is off by $.02 because it is adding up the decimal numbers and not the rounded number...

• 1. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
          philmodjunk

Define a calculation field that uses the round function to round the values to the desired number of decimal places. Then define your summary field to summarize this calculation field instead of the original field. (If the original field is a calculation field, you can use the round function with it and not need to add another field.)

• 2. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
            KM

My original field is a calculated field, and used the round function, which worked for that field, but now it is throwing everything else off.. did I use the correct round notation round (100,2)  ** I want it to round 2 decimal places

• 3. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
              philmodjunk

If you are using the round function then you are already doing what you described as what you want to do. It is rounding to two decimal places. This is not a data format that you specify in the inspector, it's part of the calculation that you define in the field.

Can you provide an example of how this is not producing the correct result. There are two basic but different calculation approaches. Round each value first using the round function or summarize the unrounded values and then round the summarized total.

These two methods will not produce the same result from every possible set of values. Which is the correct result will depend on the calculations you are doing and the requirements of your project.

• 4. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
                KM

I currently have my producer cut field as a calculation of weight/100*share.... when I put in the rounding function there it gave me the correct value, but my other fields are now off by .12 when they used to be correct... It seems that only one of my fields is off by .02.... it shows the correct values, but it is calculating the summary value off of the values shown

• 5. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
                  philmodjunk

Did your calculation look like this when you used the round function?

Round ( weight/100*share ; 2 )

• 6. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
                    KM

no...  I will try that...

• 7. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
                      KM

That did not work either..

• 8. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
                        philmodjunk

"that did not work either" doesn't give me much to go on.

It's not clear to me what results you are expecting here. As I pointed out earlier you have two choices: Round the individual values and then sum the rounded values or Sum the unrounded values and then round the total. It depends on the needs of your calculation as to which is the correct method to use.

• 9. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
                          KM

The problem I am coming across is that I am trying to reconcile my information to another company's information.  They do not round .125 to .13 so my figures are not matching up...

• 10. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
                            KM

I currently have 2 calculations, one is my weight which is calculated from dry weight/100=weight... then I have another calculation which currently reads round(weight*share, 2)

I am not too sure on how to go around this since my rounding is different than their rounding

• 11. Re: Summary based on Value NOT decimal
                              philmodjunk

Then you should be using the summary field to sum the unrounded values, but you will also need to check to see that your calculation field is producing exactly the same decimal value as the other company.

If your calculation returns 0.12499 and you have a result of 0.125 from the other company, then  you aren't going to get a total that is exactly the same when you sum the unrounded values and then round the resulting total.