5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 8:45 AM by philmodjunk

Summary Calculations

bbqchick

Title

Summary Calculations

I have a table called Loan Master which contains a balance for a loan, loan officer and number of days past due among other detail. I am selecting records for a past due report GT 30 days and calculate a total amount by loan officer for past due loan balances. So far know how to do this. I also want to calculate a total for all loans for the officer (current and past due) so I can calculate the total portfolio for the loan officer and compute the % of past dues for the officer to their total portfolio. I know how to do this in Access but having trouble thinking through how to set up in FM. Any ideas? Thanks

• 1. Re: Summary Calculations
          philmodjunk

Do you know how to define a summary field?

A summary field can be defined to total the values stored across all the records in your current found set in a specified field.

• 2. Re: Summary Calculations
            bbqchick

I understand that. I do not want the summary for the found set. I want the summary for all records

• 3. Re: Summary Calculations
              philmodjunk

Please define "All Records"... (there are also ways to set up a relationship with aggregate functions that compute totals.)

"I also want to calculate a total for all loans for the officer (current and past due) so I can calculate the total portfolio for the loan officer and compute the % of past dues for the officer to their total portfolio."

That appears to describe a specific subset of the total records in your table and using a find to pull up a found set is one way to do this. A relationship may be another.

• 4. Re: Summary Calculations
                bbqchick

Here is another way of stating what I need help with. Trying to figure out the equivalent of a Make Table in Access. I have a summary report that has totals for each loan officer and amount of loans. I want to write each record in this summary report to a file.  What do I need to do to write each sub summary line to a previously defined table?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Summary Calculations
                  philmodjunk

Make table isn't really an option in Filemaker. (I've developed in Access also, so I understand the SQL you are referring to.)

It's usually a more flexible approach to keep all your data in the table where it is and manipulate groups of records by performing finds or working with relationships.

You can use import records to move data from one table to another.

Why do you need to move this data into another table? (Perhaps I can suggest an approach that elimnates the need for a separate table.)