3 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 12:18 PM by philmodjunk

Summary Counts in Portals and Totals

KarenSpieler

Title

Summary Counts in Portals and Totals

I have a Consultant List Bill which needs to show several aspects of each Consultant's business.

1. Non-Group Memberships: Individual and Family Memberships by Member#
      2. Group Memberships: Overall count by Group of Individuals and Family Memberships
      3. A total count of all Individual and all Family Memberships for this Consultant

The first set (Non-group Memberships) I have the list working fine no problems.

On #2, I can get the related groups to list, but that's it.  The Members table has a summary field in it, but when I try and add that field to the Group portal I get a count of the Non-Group memberships.

I have included a screenshot of the layout and the relationships.

Screen1.png

• 1. Re: Summary Counts in Portals and Totals
          philmodjunk

And on which table occurrence is the above layout based? C_cC_group?

Since a consultant can be a member of many groups and a group can have many members, you have a many to many relationship. That, in turn, requires a join table to manage group membership, but I don't see a table occurrence for such a table in your screen shot:

Consultants-----<Group_Membership>-------Groups

Consultant::ConsultantID = Group_Membership::ConsultantID
          Groups::GroupID = Group_Membership::GroupID

• 2. Re: Summary Counts in Portals and Totals
            KarenSpieler

Yes, C_cC_Group

The original way was: Consultants::Con# = Groups::Con# = Members::Group#

But I needed a "non-group" group# for memberships that were not part of groups, hence the cGroup# ... So I made: C_cC_Group::Con# = Members 3::Con_2 AND C_cC_Group::Gc_Group# = Members 3::Group#
            That got me the lists I needed for the Non-Groups.

Then to get back to the original Groups I added the Groups 3 TO:  Members 3::Con_2 = Groups 3::Con# ... which gives me the Groups for each Consultant ... but I also need a summary count of how many indv. and how many family memberships each group has.

Do I need to add another Members TO to the right of Groups 3 to pull the summary field from?

• 3. Re: Summary Counts in Portals and Totals
              philmodjunk

I would treat "non goup groups" as simply groups with a max membership of 1 per group. A group type field (Individual, Family, etc.) can help you distinguish between groups and to help you filter your portals to get the lists you want in each.