4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2009 12:30 PM by grinch

Summary Field and Multiple Users

grinch

Title

Summary Field and Multiple Users

If I had a solution that was being shared among several users, lets use a very simple example of a customers database.  Say the file had only one table with 4 fields in it, CustomerID (an autoenter serial), Name, Phone, and a summary field called TotalCustomers.  The Summary field was a count of CustomerID.  Assuming that the current found set contained all the records, and was the same on all the users logged in to the database, TotalCustomers would show the number of records in the file.  If one user created a new record, at what point would TotalCustomers be updated for the other users?

Thanks

Chris

• 1. Re: Summary Field and Multiple Users
          philmodjunk

This can be a bit of an oddity for Filemaker. If you use Show All records to list all the records in the table, the summary should update fairly quickly as the newly created record will appear automatically in the other client's found set.

However, if you pull up a found set of just some records in the table, adding a new record on a different machine will not change the summary unless the 2nd user performs an operation such as a find to include the new record in their found set.

• 2. Re: Summary Field and Multiple Users
            grinch

So basically if both users are viewing all the records, the second user will not have to do anything to have the summary field updated.  Filemaker will "push" the new value to it.  The second user could just be starring at their screen and see it jump up a number.  (Is this the same way the total record count as viewed in the status bar works)

Chris

• 3. Re: Summary Field and Multiple Users
              philmodjunk

I would test this to be sure. I'm basing this response on a thread where another poster and I were getting different results. In his case, any time any user created a new record, it automatically appeared in the list of records they kept up on a screen to monitor the use of the database, where my solution needed a "refresh loop".

I eventually discovered this little difference in behavior by accident when testing one of my scripts on a test bed server that I had accesss to at the time. If client one had used Show all to view all records, a newly created record by client two automatically appeared in the found set of client one.

• 4. Re: Summary Field and Multiple Users
                grinch

Thanks for the info,  I will have to do some testing.  Probably will see different results between the win and mac platform as well.

Chris