5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 4:18 PM by philmodjunk

summary field in report from related table

ErnestReinhold

Title

summary field in report from related table

I do probation. I have a "clients" table, related to "drug tests", "contacts", "community service", and "curfew checks".  Each of the tables has a summary field, so I can run a report to show me, for example How many drug tests I've administered. I want to be able to run a report on "clients" that will show me for each client, how many of each of those activities I've done with each specific client. I've tried placing the summary field from each of the related tables on a report based on the "clients" table, and i just get garbage.

• 1. Re: summary field in report from related table
          philmodjunk

When you place a summary field from the related table directly on the clients layout, it should show a summary value based on all of the related records for that client. Is that what you want or are there other criteria that should affect this total?

Also, try uploading a cropped screen shot of Manage | Database | Relationships so we can check for any relationship details that might be a factor.

• 2. Re: summary field in report from related table
            ErnestReinhold

Ugg! My relationship table is a mess--I've learned a lot since starting this project, but am not confident about cleaning up the relationship table.

thanks so much for responding. I do place a summary field from the related table directly on the clients layout, and I do want it to shaw a summary value based on all of the related records for that client, but it does not do that. Usually when I do this, the value shown is the amount from the last record. For example, I have three contacts with Joe: first one an hour, next one 30 mins and the third one 20 minutes. My summary field on the layout based on the clients table will show 20 minutes, rather than the 110 minutes I am expecting.

• 3. Re: summary field in report from related table
              philmodjunk

Usually when I do this, the value shown is the amount from the last record.

Then it was not a field of type summary. This sounds like either a calculation or a data field instead.

• 4. Re: summary field in report from related table
                ErnestReinhold

I've worked all afternoon on this, checking that the fields I wish to have totaled are indeed summary fields. They are. My summary fields are totals of calculated fields--could that be why they are not working for me? I have created and tried about 15 different layouts this afternoon. When I put the summary field on a layout of the clients table, I always get the total only of the last client record, not a complete total. Also, I am running this program on a MAC. Would that make this function fail? could I have a corrupted program file?

• 5. Re: summary field in report from related table
                  philmodjunk

Compare what you have to this demo file: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78737945/RelatedSummaryDemo.fp7

mac vs. windows should not be an issue here. The fact that your summary field summarizes a calculation field is unlikely to be an issue, but I'd need to know more to be sure.