On my point of view summary field running count or running total based on any field is taking into account of current found set record. When you put the portal on the layout and display that summary field it evaluate the portal relationshsip and fetch some of the record based on the relationship and takes the count of those records, not all. But when when you simply put the summary field in that layout without the portal, since there is no active relationship available in that layout, it takes into account of all the records of that table and takes the count.
Thanks for your reply.
The summary field itself is not floating around without the portal. When I move the portal into the Tab, the value in the summary field changes, it does not show the running count but it shows the total number of records displayed. I really need the tabs and also need to see this running count.
Any other Ideas?
Simply moving the portal into a tab control should not change the value displayed in a summary field.
Can you describe the relationship between the layout's table occurrence and the portal's?
Is there any portal filter invovled? If so, what is the portal filter expression?
Did you make any changes in layout setup at the same time as this move?
Ok the layout set up is the culprit. I had extended the size of the header and the tab was in the header, not in the body. When the portal is placed within the body of the layout, the summary field is correct. When the portal is placed within the header of the layout, the summary field changes from a running count to a total count. Not sure why (I'm sure you are :) I'll need to spend some time understanding the nuances between the layout parts. Hmm, this also might explain why a script trigger you had helped with seemed to go haywire all of a sudden.... I didn't associate the timing with a layout setup. You probably just saved yourself from another post!
Phil to the rescue again!
I was actually thinking in terms of changing the table occurrence specified in Layout Setup | Show Records from, but glad you got it figured out.
Often, if your layout is designed for form view, there's no realy reason to have a header and you might choose to move all objects from the header to the body and then delete the header layout part.
Especially as tab controls that touch/cross the header-Body boundary usually do not function correctly anyway.