3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 3:53 PM by philmodjunk

Summary fields are pretty cool - and some other observations, questions (FM Pro 10 Advanced)

douglerner_1

Title

Summary fields are pretty cool - and some other observations, questions (FM Pro 10 Advanced)

FileMaker is a bit of a learning curve, even though I used to do more with it. But the cool thing is it lets me find such information like "how much will we get from credit card payments this month?" or "how much will we get from pre-pays between June and September?"

And then you can leaf through each source of the income that falls under those conditions, or display it as a table or in whatever layout you want, and export all the records or just those which satisfy your criteria as .csv using whatever fields you want.

Once you get the data in it's  easy to get info like that out. I think that sort of analysis and reporting would be more cumbersome just in Excel.

But I'm still overwhelmed. I don't know how I'm going to get the data into QuickBooks Online for example. Once I get past this initial stuff I think I'll be ok.

Some things seem a bit chicken-and-egg-ish though. Like tables which are linked to other tables but you can't create all the information for one table until another table is done, yet you can't complete the other table until the first is done. So I guess you just have to keep going back and forth until everything is done, right?

doug