3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2012 1:36 PM by waldotippy

summary fields in a portal showing up repeated

waldotippy

Title

summary fields in a portal showing up repeated

i'm trying to do a summary in a portal that shows on line per record.

i can't seem to figure out how to do this and ONLY show the summary data.

for example: if i do a list view with the fields and a summary field and add that field to the layout section we have to see all the data with a summary when we scroll down.

(see attached)

so i'd like to be able to just see the summary line for each group of records based on the personID.

Screen_shot_2012-02-21_at_4.23.54_PM.png

• 1. Re: summary fields in a portal showing up repeated
          philmodjunk

Does this have to be in a portal and not in a list view type summary report layout?

for example: if i do a list view with the fields and a summary field and add that field to the layout section we have to see all the data with a summary when we scroll down.

That's not the case, If you use sub summary layout parts and remove the body layout part, we can produce a summary report with just one line for each summarized group of records. I am pointing this out as this is much less work on your part to set up than a portal that shows one row per summarized group.

To achive the same result inside a portal requires a database design where you have only one portal record per summarized group which is then linked to the table shown above. If you set up such a table, then calculation fields in this summary table or summary fields from an occurrence of the above portal's table linked to this new summary table can be used to show one summary total per group of records in the original table.

• 2. Re: summary fields in a portal showing up repeated
            waldotippy

i've attempted (and failed) to do a protal that shows only the summary field no matter the date range.

my results show a repetative line item for each day in the date range. ideally there should only be one.

i accomplished what i did using a self join table of the data shown, joined by personID = personID.

i have the portal on a "home" screen that is joined to one of the data tables by date range.

the portal is of the table i'm tring to summarize joined to the home screen via a date range, and the protal contains the summary fields from the self join table of the same data.

what am i missing?

• 3. Re: summary fields in a portal showing up repeated
              waldotippy

well i'll be hornswaggled.

i thought the body part had to be there to achieve my summary.

i knew it couldn't be that difficult! a big "DUH" to me.

thanks for your help!

i do have another summary quandry but i will forge ahead with this one and then ask about that one in another thread.