1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 11:13 AM by philmodjunk

Summary fields reading as blank...

cheathamtech

Title

Summary fields reading as blank...

I created a calculation field based on criteria..

Then created a summary field to total the occurrences of records that met the criteria...

But when I place that summary field on a layout, it reads blank (not zero)..

But when I commit the record, and go back and look at it, the correct totals are there...

What I want is for the summary fields to be automatically calculated and visible when a new record is established.

What am I missing?  Thanks for any insight!

And I just discovered that if I click on the field, it shows the correct count, YES!, but I want it to be sitting there waiting when the layout is entered instead of requiring a click in a blank field...

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Summary fields reading as blank...
          philmodjunk

Once you open a record for editing, summary fields in FileMaker become undefined as the total will depend on the new value you enter in the current record.

You may be able to get what you want if you commit the record immediately after creating it (Easy to do if you have a button for new records). That will at least enable you to see the total before you enter a field to start editing it.

I'm wondering if you couldn't capture the current total in a global field during the execution of a script to create your new record. This global field (after a refresh window) would then display the summary total if you put it on your layout as a merge text object. A second script that fires whenever the record is comitted could then update this variable with the new data from your new record.