1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 10:58 AM by philmodjunk

Summary Fields Will Not Update

mgxdigital

Title

Summary Fields Will Not Update

Hi,

I have a layout with 3 summary fields on it. They wll not update on the layout.

They only way that i've seen that they update is if i change one of hte fields. I've played around changing them from a summary field to a calcuation getting the sum of the field. When i do this, they will update. Then when i change them back to summary, they will update again. But if i leave them as a summary and the field that they are summarizing changes, they will not update to show the change, they will be blank.

Please help!

• 1. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
          philmodjunk

Summary fields can be used in more than one layout/relationship context. Can you describe your particular use of summary fields in more detail?

It sounds like your summary field is from a related table and thus summarizes a set of related records, but I would like to be sure of that.

Perhaps you have a portal of related records and the summary field computes a total or other aggregate value based on the related records in the portal.

• 2. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
            mgxdigital

Phil,

The summary field i have is on a layout with list of activited subsummaried with sorted. The subsummaries are coutning the contact type related to the activity contact. I can put the field that the summary is totalling in the body of hte layout and it's there. It's just the subsummary that will not work. 

Since i am using the subsummary like you mentioned, is the portal the work around for fixing this?

• 3. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
              philmodjunk

The portal is for a different layout design and is not, IMO, the optimum approach for showing a portal total unless the portal is a filtered portal. In any case, not what you have here.

Please explain in detail what you mean by this:

They only way that i've seen that they update is if i change one of hte fields. I've played around changing them from a summary field to a calcuation getting the sum of the field. When i do this, they will update. Then when i change them back to summary, they will update again. But if i leave them as a summary and the field that they are summarizing changes, they will not update to show the change, they will be blank.

Normally, summary fields will always accurately reflect the correct total or subtotal for the current found set of records and a Sum function cannot return a correct value at all in this situation--unless the data being summed is from a related table--which is why I guessed that you might be using a summary field to compute a total of data from a related table instead of from the Found set of records in the layout's table.

• 4. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                mgxdigital

The summary fields are pulling data from a related table instead of a found set of records in the layout's table. 

When i first go the layout, the summary fields are blank. But if for some reason, i go to manage database and change any field in the table, then they update. 

• 5. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                  philmodjunk

What I thought from the beginning. Wink This is fairly typical of summary fields from a related table.

What is the relationship from your report layout to the related table from which summary totals are being calculated?

It might be possible to set up a layout baed on the table from which this data is being summarized.

You may also find that Refresh Window will cause the summary fields to update.

• 6. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                    mgxdigital

I've tried the refresh window, but it's not working.

The summary fields are actually ones that you helped me create on my "Count of Sub SUmmary" Post. Does this help? 

•  

I will use the sum of the reciprocal since i only have FIlemaker 11, but i can not get your cFraction GetSummary to work.

I have the count, but the next step, i can't nail down. 

SCount   Summary - Count of CustomerID  

SFraction   Calculation   1/ GetSummary (SCount ; Customer ID)

• the break field in a GetSummary function (Customer ID in the example) works just like the "when sorted by" field in a Sub Summary layout part. Your found set must be sorted by the break field to group records with identical values in this field or it will not return a value.

• 7. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                      philmodjunk

Yes, but note that my example does not summarize values from a related table. It counts values in the current found set of the current layout. Don't really see how getSummary can work if the data summarized is from a different table.

• 8. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                        mgxdigital

Hi Phil,

I just checked again and even the summary for the current layout is not working.

Table: ActivitesLayout is based on Activites

Count_Company : Count (Company ID)

Fraction_Company : 1/GetSummary (Count_Company ; Company ID)

Unique_Company : Sum (Fraction_Company)

Unique_Company_Sum : Summary = Total of Unique_Company

Unique_Company_Sum will not update. Every time i go to the layout or change my find settings, it just remains blank. All of the fields are in the same table as the layout, but it will not update.

• 9. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                          philmodjunk

Count_Company should be a field of type summary (Count of Company ID). Count ( CompanyID ) will only return a value of 1 and GetSummary will not evaluate correctly as it nees a field of type summary as the first parameter.

• 10. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                            mgxdigital

Sorry Phil, it is a summary. i typed it wrong:

Count_Company : Summary = Count of Company ID

• 11. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                              philmodjunk

Are your records sorted by Company ID?

PS. If you are using FileMaker 12, Execute SQL provides an alternative method for producing a count of unique values.

• 12. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                                mgxdigital

I am using Filemaker 11 so the SQL is not an option for me. The records in teh layouta re sorted by Company ID.

I have the summary fields in the header of hte layout, then thre is a subsummary by Company ID, then a body with the activity notes.

• 13. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                                  philmodjunk

Summary fields in the header will report "grand totals"--aggregate values for the entire found set.

Where did you put the Unique_Company_Sum field?

When you say it is "not working", what do you see when it's not working? (no data, wrong data, question marks...)

• 14. Re: Summary Fields Will Not Update
                                    mgxdigital

The Unique_Company_Sum is the summary field that i have in the header of the layout. We want the summary totals at the top of our reports.

When i say taht it's not working; the field is blank. I can click into it and it's blank.

1 2 3 Previous Next