9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 11:23 AM by philmodjunk

Summary Reports Help

rmen

Title

Summary Reports Help

I am trying to make a report of all Pain relieving strategies for patients in hospitals.  There are 3 tables, Patients, Assessments and Analgesia.  The Analgesia table records details of one of 3 strategies for proving pain relief following operations.  THe details of the Operation and Patient details are stored in the Patient layout.  THere is a portal in the Assessment layout to the Patient layout.

When I try to make a report to show the details of one of the pain strategies (I have to use fields from all 3 Tables) I find that under labels of fields from the Current table (Analgesia) the information displayed relates to the patients in question but that under the related fields information for all patients is displayed! 

• 1. Re: Summary Reports Help
          philmodjunk

What relationships have you defined to link your tables and on which table are you basing your report? (What is listed in "Show Records From" in Layout Setup...?)

• 2. Re: Summary Reports Help
            rmen

Thanks

I have 3 tables - Patients, Assessments and Analgesia.  All related by Patient Number, a serial auto-entered number.  The report was based on the Analgesia table but used fields from the Patient and the Assessment table as well.

You may have a better solution but I used the script (that fm writes at the end of Report Set up) and added another find to it which limits the report to the records of interest.  Works.

• 3. Re: Summary Reports Help
              philmodjunk

Works, does that mean problem solved or is this issue still a problem?

"under the related fields information for all patients is displayed!"

"All related by Patient Number" isn't quite enough detail.

Do you have these relationships?

Patients-----<Assessments-----<Analgesia

Or these?

Assessments>-----Patients-----<analgesia

• 4. Re: Summary Reports Help
                rmen

Sorry for not providing enough info

Analgesia>------Patient------<Assessment

In making a report, I used fields that would be useful in the report (as one does) but these are from all 3 tables.  When I wish to focus on a pain relieving strategy, defined by a group of records in the Analgesia table, I need to include details of what the patient's primary problem is (from the Patient table) and also info about how the patient got on while being assessed (from the Assessment table).  I have used New Layout/Report and followed the instructions through to and including the script generation step.  While generating a summary report for a specific strategy, I get the layout I need but one that lists all the data for all patients, when related fields are used.

To help, I have added a step at the end of the script to find records within the retrieved data.  This has worked and I have limited my records but wonder if I have gone about things a roundabout way.

• 5. Re: Summary Reports Help
                  philmodjunk

Yes, you should use some method to specifically find the Analgesea records you want for your report. They will not be selected for you automatically. Performing a find is likely your best option.

My concern about your table structure is that if you base your layout on Analgesia, you will only be able to show data from the first related assessment record. If there is one and only one assessment record for any given patient then this is not an issue. If there could be more than one, the only way to show more assessment records in your report layout would be to use a portal--which isn't the nicest feature to use for a report you might print or save as a PDF. (A separate relationship from analgesia to a new table occurrence of Assessment might be useful for some reports where you want to specify which assessment record you want to see for a given patient.)

• 6. Re: Summary Reports Help
                    rmen

I see what you mean.  In my reports I have only 2 fields that have multiple values in different records.

With a new occurrence what do I use to relate the tables?  Also the tables does it need to be Analgesia----<Assessment ?

THanks again!

• 7. Re: Summary Reports Help
                      philmodjunk

If working with more than one table occurrence to the same table is a new idea, see this thread for a fairly simple tutorial that demonstrates the concept:  Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

After reading and doing that tutorial, you might check out this idea for a way to organize multiple table occurrences in your relationship graph to make it easier to manage the design and function of your system:  http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/six-fried-rice-methodology-part-2-anchor-buoy-and-data-structures/

Analgesia----<Assessment (--< means "one to many"), means for any given anlagesia record there could be 1 or more assessment records linked to it. You'll know better than I if that relationship is a good idea or not for your data.

• 8. Re: Summary Reports Help
                        rmen

Thanks once again!

A separate relationship from analgesia to a new table occurrence of Assessment might be useful for some reports where you want to specify which assessment record you want to see for a given patient.

I tried this without real success.  I cannot figure out how to relate the new occurrence of Assessment to Analgesia.  The fields in my report from the assessment table can be sacrificed without real damage.  There's always 'Find'

I have been thru the tutorials and kind of understand the idea.  My brain cannot extrapolate the sample data given anywhere in Filemaker to patients and operations.  It's inexperience.  

Now I have to grapple with runtimes.  I have just learnt that to make a runtime for windows users (most of my clients) I'll have to bind the database using windows...

• 9. Re: Summary Reports Help
                          philmodjunk

I cannot figure out how to relate the new occurrence of Assessment to Analgesia.

That truly is the key question. Here's the classic way to do this, but think it over before you try this. It makes assumptions that may not be true for you data structure:

Define a serial ID number in Analgesia, AnalgesiaID. To link a given assessment record to that one Analgesia record, define a matching AnaglgesiaID field in the Assessment table and link the two fields in a relationship. A portal to Assessments can even be set up on an analgesia based layout to log a series of assessment records for a given Analgesia record--which saves the user the trouble of entering the analgesiaID number from the current Analgesia record in to the matching field of the new Assessment record as this value can then be entered automatically.