6 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2014 1:01 PM by kenne120

summary tab?

kenne120

Title

summary tab?

When working in a layout that includes multiple tabs, is it possible to create an additional tab that displays a snapshot/summary of the information that is displayed in the other tabs? (Rather than the user having to click through all the tabs to find the information they need.)  Any suggestions on other means of creating this "snapshot/summary tab" would be appreciated, if this is even a possibility. Thanks!

• 1. Re: summary tab?
          philmodjunk

It's certainly possible. But the devil is in the details you have omitted from your first post. The data on those other tabs could be structured in any number of ways--including portals to related tables. So the design of your database and this tab control will determine how you might go about computing and displaying summary totals on an additional panel of the tab control.

• 2. Re: summary tab?
            kenne120

The data in the other tabs is all organized into fields- mostly text boxes, but some drop down menus and some checkbox sets. (See screenshots) There are no portals or related tables. Since there isn’t a way to dynamically add fields to a layout as new information is added to the database, some of these tabs end up having a lot of blank fields. I am hoping that a summary tab would be a way for users to view just the information about students that has been filled into the fields. (This database is for organizing contact information and program participation history on students who have completed various types of educational enrichment programs through our office.) 

We would probably only need summary information from 3 or 4 of the tabs shown in the screenshot. 

• 3. Re: summary tab?
              kenne120

Whoops! Here are the screenshots of other tabs:

• 4. Re: summary tab?
                kenne120
                /files/9b90c818a6/Screenshot_2.png 1280x1024
                • 5. Re: summary tab?
                  philmodjunk

Since there isn’t a way to dynamically add fields to a layout as new information is added to the database, some of these tabs end up having a lot of blank fields.

This sounds like you are trying to add fields when you should be adding related records--which can be done dynamically. And then this data is entered into portals. The "step up" example panel shown here looks like a case where a portal to a related table, resulting in two rows of related records in place of the two identical sets of fields would result in a much more flexible way to record and manage this data. Employment History--which conceivably require recording multiple past jobs worked, would be particularly difficult to properly document without a portal to a related table

• 6. Re: summary tab?
                    kenne120

Thanks! This feedback is much appreciated. When I initially started creating the database, my intention was to have related records in multiple tables and to use portals to link them together. (time constraints, lack of internal support, and my relative inexperience with FM prevented this design from being executed, unfortunately.) It's good to have a more experienced FM user confirm that my initial plans were on track. Thank you again for the feedback.