6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 4:54 PM by JohnEriksson

swedish phone number format

JohnEriksson

Title

swedish phone number format

To be able to search phone numbers they need to be stored with only numbers, no dashes or characters. As most phone numbers starts with a single 0 I've chosen text but only allowing numeric content. But, when I want to show the phone number I want it to be formatted with dashes and spaces. It can be ####-### ## or ##-## ## ## or ###-### ### ##

The problem is the dash, where the number before the dash is the area code. There is no logical rule in sweden where the dash should be. So, I've imported a list of all area codes (about 270 posts) in a separate table and made a relation (x). 

Now the fun part. How would the calculation for the calculation field that shows the formated phone number look like? Is there a way to match the area code from the separate table to the beginning of the phone number?

The only way I can think of is to make a script with a loop and match from the top to the bottom until I might find something and save that in a separate text field and trigger this script when leaving the phone number field. That is slow, and won't work when importing. Any better ideas?

• 1. Re: swedish phone number format
          philmodjunk

You might look at how the bottom left "search portal" in this demo file  works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pm1gdqcfi2ndpv/EnhancedValueSelection.fp7

If you are using FileMaker 12, open this file from the File menu to produce a copy of the file that is converted into FileMaker 12 format.

• 2. Re: swedish phone number format
            JohnEriksson

Great file, I'll keep that one! But I don't really understand how I'm going to use pattern count() in my context. As a portal filter it works great, but I don't have a portal, just one line of calculation. Or do you mean I should add an invisible portal to a layout? Its a possible solution in a script, but it feels like a filemaker walkaround.

• 3. Re: swedish phone number format
              philmodjunk

I was thinking of the portal that uses the "starts with" matching logic in light of this sentence in your original post:

Is there a way to match the area code from the separate table to the beginning of the phone number?

But I think I misinterpreted what you want to do here. "matching" to an area code here in the states isn't something you can do reliably just from a phone number that has no area code in it. The same number can exist in each area code region. You'd need additional data to determine which area code applies.

I do have some contact management type systems where the local area code is automatically appended to the beginning of the phone number if the number of digits in the phone number equals 7.

And you may find this expression helpful in counting just the numeric digits by filtering out the non-numeric characters:

Filter ( YourField ; 9876543210 )

• 4. Re: swedish phone number format
                JohnEriksson

I've solved it with a script with a loop. Its maybe not so neat, but it is possible to move it into another database in 10 minutes.

example data; phone number: 0812345678 or 024312345
                both 08 and 0243 is in a list with 270 area codes. wanted: 08-12345678 or 0243-12345.

There is no way to post what I did as a text post, so I will make a sample database and link it.

• 5. Re: swedish phone number format
                  philmodjunk

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
                  3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here.
                  5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
                  7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.
                  • 6. Re: swedish phone number format
                    JohnEriksson

Ok, here is the example file, in .fp7 format [download]

I rewrote it in FileMaker 10, I use 12 in normal cases. You need script triggers to do this, so no earlier version than FMP10.

So much hazzle just to know where the dash should be in the phone number. :)