4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 11:13 AM by Fagreement

Switch from LTR to RTL in Browse mode

Fagreement

Title

Switch from LTR to RTL in Browse mode

I have a field on my layout, in browse mode the user may write in english or in another language requiring left to right orientation. How can I give the user the ability to Switch from LTR to RTL in Browse mode. possible?

• 1. Re: Switch from LTR to RTL in Browse mode
          philmodjunk

Possible, yes, easy no. You might need two layouts that look identical except for the direction. Is it at all possible to set up a field for RTL in FileMaker perhaps by changing the language indexing?

It might require an OnObjectKeystroke script that re-orders the field with each new keystroke when in RTL mode, otherwise and a script that properly handles the edit keys, arrow keys as well as keys to enter data could get fairly complex...

• 2. Re: Switch from LTR to RTL in Browse mode
            Fagreement

sorry but I don't like the 2 layouts method.

is there a way in the font to set align left or align right in browse mode?

• 3. Re: Switch from LTR to RTL in Browse mode
              philmodjunk

You may not like it, but it may be your most pracitcal option here.

You cannot change text alignment on the fly, so different layouts or two tabs on the same layout would be the only way I can think of to get this result. (BTW, I understood RTL, LTR differently from your first post, I took that to mean that the order of the characters inside the field were RTL or LTR rather than changing the text alignment.)

Hmmm, wonder if you could "stack" two transparent copies of the same field on top of each other and combine script triggers with conditional formatting to control which field is selected for editing/entering data and which field will display the data. That keeps it all on one layout, but could be just as much of a maintenance challenge as two parallel layouts.

• 4. Re: Switch from LTR to RTL in Browse mode
                Fagreement

thanks for the last idea (conditional formatting) , it could be fine