3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 2:42 PM by philmodjunk

Switching from "Table View" to "Form View"

bobmonty

Title

Switching from "Table View" to "Form View"

Hello,

I have a built a database of records where the standard view is Table View, so it looks much like an Excel spreadsheet. This view only has four fields: Name, Location, Birthday, and Age.

I have also created a more detailed Form View that has about a dozen fields and contains more detailed information.

What I'd like to do is find a way - while in Table View -  to click over to the more detailed Form View for each record. For example, the first record in Table View might say "John Doe (click here for more details)" in the Name column, and when I click on the "click here for more details", it switches over to Form View. The next record says "Dan Smith (click here for more details)", and when I click on the "click here for more details", it switches over to Form View. And so on. Or maybe, instead of "click here for more details", there's a little icon of some sort on each record to click and automatically switch over to Form View.

I'm assuming there's a way to do this, but I've been mucking around for a while and can't seem to find a way. Any help appreciated. Thank you!

BTW - I am using Filemaker Pro 9.0v3. I use a MacBook Pro running 10.6.3.

Bob

• 1. Re: Switching from "Table View" to "Form View"
          philmodjunk

You can place an OnObjectEnter script trigger on a field shown in your table view. The script attached to this trigger can switch layouts for you. You can even make a calculation that returns the text: "Click here to see details" and attach the script trigger to it.

The other option is to replace your table view with a list view of the same fields. This gives you the same spreadsheet like view but without some of the table view's flexibility. With list view, you can place buttons directly in the layout row to use in triggering your script.

• 2. Re: Switching from "Table View" to "Form View"
            bobmonty

Hi Phil - How does one insert an OnObjectEnter script trigger?  I looked under the "Insert" menu and didn't see it...

• 3. Re: Switching from "Table View" to "Form View"
              philmodjunk

Oops, I missed the part of your first post where you said you are using Filemaker 9. Script triggers were added with filemaker 10. You'll have to use the second approach--creating a list view that matches your current table view so that you can either place a button in the body of the layout or define a field as a button to take the user to the detail layout.