3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 10:36 PM by philmodjunk

switching tables without switching layouts?

jfalberg

Title

switching tables without switching layouts?

Presently the way I know how to manipulate and use tables for import/export/modification purposes is by switching layouts such as follows:

Go to Layout["ListAllFieldsSearch" (Search)]
           Set Field[Search::OutTag; "X"]
           Export Records (No dialog; "$exprt"; "FMPXMLRESULT"; Unicode (UTF-8)]

Go to Layout("Tabs" (Answer)]

Is there any alternative way I can handle this without switching to different layouts each time?  I tried freeze in the past but with difficulty getting to work properly.  I see there's a Set Selection command, not sure if that's what I really want, or how.

Essentially I want to prevent the user from seeing the messy layouts I use just for selecting a different database table.

• 1. Re: switching tables without switching layouts?
          philmodjunk

Set Selection selects text within a field so it isn't what you want here.

What problems do you encounter with the above script? Freeze Window is often unecessary in today's systems, but if you see a bit of "layout flash" when you perform the script you'd write it as:

Freeze Window
               Go to Layout["ListAllFieldsSearch" (Search)]
               Set Field[Search::OutTag; "X"]
               Export Records (No dialog; "$exprt"; "FMPXMLRESULT"; Unicode (UTF-8)]

Go to Layout("Tabs" (Answer)]

But there are specific script steps that can trigger a window refresh even when Freeze Window has been executed.

• 2. Re: switching tables without switching layouts?
            jfalberg

I can certainly try the "Freeze Window" again when I go to the client site and debug what's happening.  Is there like an "UnFreeze Window" or whether "Refresh Window" acts that way for when I'm done?  The system I was using was slow enough to see flashes of what looked like a simple view as form layout for certain tables I was trying to import to from an external XML data file we receive generated from a web service application.

• 3. Re: switching tables without switching layouts?
              philmodjunk

Freeze Window only freezes the window until one of several script steps (Such as Refresh Window) unfreeze it or the script ends. Once your script ends, the window will not be frozen.