1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 5:01 PM by philmodjunk

Synching FileMaker Pro 11 with my Windows Netbook and my desktop Mac

JCsmilez

Title

Synching FileMaker Pro 11 with my Windows Netbook and my desktop Mac

Hello,

I currently run Bento on my Mac and love it.  I just learned that I will be receiving a Netbook (I imagine with Windows 7 starter) from my employer and have been looking at my options.  Unfortunately I know that I can't use Bento on a Windows system but Filemaker certainly has some features that I am excited about.

1. Can I transfer everything that is currently set in in custom forms in Bento over to Filemaker Pro without losing vital information.

2. Filemaker will run on Windows 7 starter, yes?

3. If I get Filemaker for both my netbook and my home Mac will I be able to synch between the two?

Thanks in advance,

Tristen

• 1. Re: Synching FileMaker Pro 11 with my Windows Netbook and my desktop Mac
          philmodjunk

1. No, you can only import the data. You'll have to re-create the forms

2. I think so. Haven't seen any issues on that reported here in the forum, but you can call tech support (they shouldn't charge you for this) and you can ask them about this spedifically. you can also down load the 30 day free trial and see if it works on it.

3. Synching as a specific function doesn't exist in FileMaker. There are ways to set this up. The process can be as simple as replacing the file on one machine with a copy of the file from the other up to very complex processes where a script does most of the data merge, but flags certain issues for human interpretation. This is because Filemaker can be a system of many different tables with data edited by many different users, thus some "synch" operations can get very extreme.

In your case, this will probably be on the simple side, but it all depends on how many people will be working on your database at the same time and how complex a design you come up with.