1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 11:21 AM by philmodjunk

Syncing all versions of database

kerrykarou

Title

Syncing all versions of database

I ran into a small mystery amongst my previously saved versions of a database I'm working on.  One of the fields had the "use global storage" function active even though I have no recollection of going anywhere near that function in set up.  All of my previously saved copies have this function checked though at one point in time the field was working correctly (i.e. not storing anything globally).  Is there a way for Filemaker to sync the layout changes between databases?  They are all in the same folder on my desktop.  Am I crazy and somehow checked that field in all of my previous versions ? 

I have no idea how this could've happened or if there is something I should be doing to keep it from happening.

• 1. Re: Syncing all versions of database
          philmodjunk

No. Filemaker will not and cannot "synch" like that.

And a field's storage option is not a "layout change". It's a change made at the data level in Manage | Database.

Note: updating a calculation field's field calculation can leave a previously stored calculation unstored if the calculation now references something that requires that it be unstored, such as a global field.

And calculation fields that have global storage specified, but reference non-global fields evaluate in really "funky" ways--which can easily produce confusing results.