System or user DSN not showing up in FMP 11 and Windows 7 64 bit
- FM Pro 11.0v1. In the properties for FMP11 under "compatibility" I do NOT have "Run this program in compatibility mode" checked and no operating system is chosen.I also do NOT have 'run this program as admninistrator" chosen.
- Win 7 64bit (I now know it's not certified)
- I am not sharing the database across a LAN or Web (except for a MySQL connection with ESS) and I am not using IWP or CWP.
- I have MySQL Connector ODBC installed
- I have a static IP on cable modem from The Evil Comcast.
Though I've been using FM since it was black and white on an Mac Classic, I'm more a power user than developer. I'm a newbie to MySQL but I've made a database and PHP'd it and my site works fine. I'm not afraid to blow around in stuff to make it dance.
The Good News:
I have an FM database of product listings connected to a MySQL database at a server that feeds my website (in php) so as I update my FM, the MySQL is instantly updated -and I think that's all just fargin magical! This was all set up on this Win7/64 machine with this install of FMP11.0v1 shortly after setting up Win7/64 on a new system hard drive.
Flush with success and feeling cocky, I needed an almost identical setup for a new biz project so I cloned the working FM database and gave it a new name and closed the window for the old db. Then:
- I created a new MySQL database at the server (i.e. totally new and separate FM db and MySQL db -not a separate table off the old MySQL).
- In Windows Data Sources ODBC, MySQL Connector/ODBC I made a new connection to the new MySQL -test says "Connection Successful!"
- In FM "Manage External Data Sources" I deleted the old ODBC connection for the original FMdb that came over in the clone.
- I then attempted to create a new connection in Manage External Data Sources/Edit Data Source to connect to the new MySQL. I chose ODBC, then,
- Under DSN I clicked Specify and I believe I should see both the old and the new ODBC connections I had set up in Windows, but I see no choices at all. Nada. Bupkis.
- I did also enter a user name and password to the MySQLdb under Authentication. (That did not help).
- I called my web hosting folks at Blue Host to be sure there were no permissions to enable for the new user/pass for the new MySQL db. There weren't and they report they can see a connection when I test the MySQL Connector ODBC data source config.
So, I have no connection on the new FMdb to the new MySQL.
Now I mentioned the original database -that sucker still works fine. It was set up on this same machine with this same install of FM Pro11 and I was able to choose system and user DSN when I first set it up -but now if I attempt to go back in, hit edit and "Specify" the DSN for that old db, I don't see any choices nopw. I quick hit cancel so as not to screw up a good thing and it remains working to this day.
So, here I sit, flummoxed.