6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2014 8:38 AM by philmodjunk

T/F field quandary.

kayakjunkie

Title

T/F field quandary.

I have been away from FMP for the last year and a half and would have to put myself back in the beginner category.  I recently upgraded to FMP Advanced 13.  I am developing a database to distribute to clients for them to enter personal information, assets, liabilities, tax information, etc.  I want to have a checkbox to indicate whether or not they are married.  I've attempted to follow the instructions PhilModJunk gave in another post but am still not having success.

My field is set-up as follows:

"Married" = Text Field, Validate = Only during data entry, Member of Value List "T/F"

Value List "T/F" is defined with a single value, "1".

The Layout has the field entered as a checkbox, when unchecked it shows a 1 next to the field rather than a 0.  The inspector for the field shows the following:

Display data from Individuals::Married, Control style = Checkbox set, Values from T/F (allow entry of other values is checked), all other values are the default values.

When I attempt to check the a pop-up message box appears with the following message.

"Married" is defined to contain only specific values.  You must enter a valid value.  Options are Revert Field and OK.

What are the step by step instructions to create a simple checkbox field.

Thanks,

kayakjunkie

• 1. Re: T/F field quandary.
          philmodjunk

The Layout has the field entered as a checkbox, when unchecked it shows a 1 next to the field rather than a 0

That is how a check box works. You can see whether or not a value is selected by whether or not there is an "x" in the box. The value next to the box or boxes supplied by the value list do not change when you select a check box. I normally instruct users to resize the field so that the "1" value is not visible so that all you see is the check box. (And I'd make this a number field, not text though this is a minor quibble.)

When I attempt to check the a pop-up message box appears with the following message.

"Married" is defined to contain only specific values.  You must enter a valid value.  Options are Revert Field and OK.

Open Manage | database fields, find the definition for this field and double click it to open field options. Select the validation field tab and remove whatever validation field option is producing this error message.

The idea behind this type of field format is that 1 = True and no value = false.

• 2. Re: T/F field quandary.
            kayakjunkie

Field has been changed to Number.  No effect.

In the Options for Field "Married" it shows Validate data in this field: "Only during data entry" and Member of value list: "T/F"

What needs to be changed?  I tried entering the Allow user to override during data entry to no avail.  The message box now says "Married" is defined to contain only specific values.  Allow this value?  Revert Field, No, Yes.  If I select "Yes" the box will now check (which is more than it would do before).  If I try to uncheck the box I get the same message box and have to select "Yes" to uncheck the box.  This doesn't seem right ... to have to go through a message box each time I want to check/uncheck a checkbox field.

Thanks!

kayakjunkie

• 3. Re: T/F field quandary.
              kayakjunkie

When the field is unchecked, shouldn't it show "0" as the value?  Otherwise how would search for records that are true (1) vs. false (0)?

• 4. Re: T/F field quandary.
                philmodjunk

No, just the check box will show as unchecked and your field is never given a value of 0 with this value list to begin with. (There's no zero in your value list.)

Think of what you would see if there were more than one value in the value list:

Say you had:

[ ]  yes
                     [ ]  no
                     [ ] maybe

None of the values shown to the right of the check boxes will change when you click a check box will they? The same is true for your field, you just have a value list of one value, that's why I tell people to resize this type of check box field to hide the value as it's not useful to the user to see that 1 there.

• 5. Re: T/F field quandary.
                  kayakjunkie

Okay, that makes sense.  So how do I resolve the validation problem where I have to select "Yes" from a message box in order to get the field to change to check or uncheck?

• 6. Re: T/F field quandary.
                    philmodjunk

I answered that in my first comment posted here:

Open Manage | database fields, find the definition for this field and double click it to open field options. Select the validation field tab and remove whatever validation field option is producing this error message.

I don't know what validation option that you've specified here, but something in this dialog is what is popping up that error message.