6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 10:55 PM by Fagreement

Tab Control in a  Portal

Fagreement

Title

Tab Control in a  Portal

I have an issue when i put a tab control in a portal:

i have a filter based on a variable, everything working well. when i insert a tab in the portal and i move the field and put it inside the tab therefore the filter doesn't work anymore on this field !

• 1. Re: Tab Control in a  Portal
          philmodjunk

What filter expression are you using?

Can you confirm that the tab control is completely within the portal? (You may need to temporarily resize the portal row to be extra tall to see if this might be the reason here.) Tab controls go wonky if even one pixel touches or crosses the wrong boundary--so that might be the issue here.

• 2. Re: Tab Control in a  Portal
            Fagreement

tab control is completelly in the portal.

• 3. Re: Tab Control in a  Portal
              philmodjunk

And what filter expression are you using?

• 4. Re: Tab Control in a  Portal
                Fagreement

Object::ObjectNo=$$SelectedObjectMainGrid

• 5. Re: Tab Control in a  Portal
                  philmodjunk

Interesting. I'm getting similar results.

I put two fields in the portal, the ObjectID field, I placed in the tab control and I placed a text field outside the tab control.

When I click a button that updates the global variable and refreshes the window, the ObjectID field inside the tab control does not update, but the text field does update to show the text field of the selected portal record. Editing the field in the tab control will demonstrate that the field inside the tab control is the field to the first related record even though the portal filter has filtered out that record and the fields outside the tab control refer to the correct, filtered portal record.

When I research tab controls in FileMaker help, I find this notice: "Note  You cannot place a tab control in a portal."

So apparently, placing a tab control in a portal actually results in an object that is on top of or behind a portal, but not actually in the portal and thus we get this behavior.

What was the purpose to using a tab control? Perhaps we can come up with a suitable work around.

• 6. Re: Tab Control in a  Portal
                    Fagreement

yes. ok thanks.

I did a workaround: place the portal inside all the tabs of my Tab Control.