9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 2:44 PM by philmodjunk

Tab Control problem

john9210

Title

Tab Control problem

FileMaker 12 adv. Sometimes the objects and fields I place on one control pane appear on another tab pane, even though  the objects do not touch or overlap the pane edges. They appear on both panes. I have to drag the objects out of the Tab Control and drag them back to the appropriate pane. Any ideas on what could cause this?

• 1. Re: Tab Control problem
          philmodjunk

This sounds like a known issue that I reported to FileMaker some time back. If you use the inspector's alignment tools to move the object to be within the boundaries of a tab control or a portal, that object fails to "own" the object. If you manually drag the object into position within the boundaries, the underlying tab control or portal will correctly "take ownership" and you can test this by selecting the tab control or portal and tapping an arrow key to "nudge" the object one pixel in the arrow's direction. Objects "owned" by it will move when the portal or tab control moves.

Best workaround that I can suggest is to drag the object(s) until it is within the containing object's boundaries first, then use alignment tools to move it into it's final position.

For More Information see:     Portals and Tab Controls fail to "own" enclosed objects

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: Tab Control problem
            john9210

Actually what I did was to make the tab control bigger, then I selected the fields and objects and dragged them to a new position, never going outside of the boundries.

• 3. Re: Tab Control problem
              philmodjunk

As a test, I increased the size of a tab control, then repositioned a field already on the tab panel and then returned to browse mode and clicked each tab panel. I was unable to reproduce this. (I am using windows 7.)

When you made the control bigger, did you, by any chance, drag a border of the control so that it touched or crossed the boundary line between header and body layout parts?

• 4. Re: Tab Control problem
                john9210

I use Win 7 also. No, when I dragged the border it did not cross a header or footer boundry line. I simply dragged to the right to elongate the control. This seems to happen intemittently, not all the time.

• 5. Re: Tab Control problem
                  philmodjunk

Hmmm, was the field outside the boundaries of the control before you resized the control to include it? That's the only way I can think of that reproduces this issue.

• 6. Re: Tab Control problem
                    john9210

No. It was inside the control. I've had this problem occur three or four times with FM 12 and I can't figure out what is causing it. It's bothersome when it occurs. If you can't duplicate it then maybe it's an occasional bug in FM 12. I never had the problem with FM 11 and earlier.

• 7. Re: Tab Control problem
                      philmodjunk

It could be, but If so, I'd expect to have encountered it before now myself or at least seen an issue report about it over in the Report an Issue section of this forum.

Does this only occur in the current file that you are working with or have you seen it occur in other files (and in files that do not share a "common ancestry"...)

• 8. Re: Tab Control problem
                        john9210

It's happened on other files. The one thing they may have in common is that the files are all Fm 11 Adv files, converted to FM 12 Adv. The issue is occruing in FM 12.

• 9. Re: Tab Control problem
                          philmodjunk

The file that I used for this testing and which I work with frequently also started life as a FileMaker 11 file before conversion to FileMaker 12 format.

If you want, you are welcome to use Report an Issue to report this and see what the TS personnel that monitor that section have to say. They may have info in their system that can verify what's going or or suggest an explanation. If you report this over there, you can copy and paste a link to this thread to save time describing the issue.