5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2009 8:36 AM by philmodjunk

Tab Controls causing crash?

GBR

Title

Tab Controls causing crash?

I'm quoting from the forum message about tab controls:

"Tab controls can be nested inside the tab panels of other tab controls. Portals can be placed in tab panels. Tab controls cannot be placed into portals. Tab controls cannot be turned into buttons."

What I'm wondering is .... can placing a button over top of a tab cause Filemaker to crash? Here's what's happening...

I created a tab control where each tab represents a different found set. My tabs are in the header part of the layout, and the found set of records is displayed using List View in the body part.

Filemaker (I'm pretty sure) doesn't allow me to perform a "find" action by clicking on a tab, so I worked around it by placing a button on top of the tab name and having the button control the "find". The script buttons were duplicated on every layer of the tab control. A slight problem was that two clicks became necessary...the first click would change the tab, but no find would happen. A second click would make the "find" work.

Anyway, this all works fine, except for when I enter this layout from another layout which is based on another table, as part of a particular script, Filemaker crashes the first time I click on a tab. It only does it when I'm trying to perform this particular script, which really does nothing fancy except change the layout and then pause.

I'm fairly new to Filemaker, I think it's awesome. This is the first time I've seen it crash.

• 1. Re: Tab Controls causing crash?
          TSGal

GBR:

Thank you for your post.

Placing a button over the top of a tab should not cause FileMaker Pro to crash.  I have tried your exact steps using OS X 10.5.6.  If you have a way to duplicate the problem, please give me the exact steps so I can confirm.

The action of clicking the tab (to make it active), and then clicking the tab again to execute the button is normal behavior.  To make this one click, give each tab a name (by pulling down the View menu and selecting "Object Info..." ), set the tabs to a fixed width of 0 (zero) pixels, and replace the tabs with buttons.  That way, you only have to click the button to activate the tab and perform any additional script steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Tab Controls causing crash?
            philmodjunk

Any time, Filemaker crashes on me during execution of a script, I immediately recover the file and test it. You may have some form of hidden damage in your file that caused the crash and the crash itself could possibly damage your file.

As always, developers should make lots of back up copies of their files and should never use a recovered file unless there is no alternative.

• 3. Re: Tab Controls causing crash?
              raybaudi

GBR wrote:

Filemaker (I'm pretty sure) doesn't allow me to perform a "find" action by clicking on a tab

FileMaker 10 does ( using triggers )

• 4. Re: Tab Controls causing crash?
                GBR

That is entirely possible... will check it out. By "hidden" damage.. do you mean something that would not show up anywhere else in any other behaviour?

I have frequently been backing up my files. Good reminder, thanks.

However, I have sometimes been switching between two computers, and have been running the file direct from my USB stick. Probably that's where damage has occured... if any.

GB

• 5. Re: Tab Controls causing crash?
                  philmodjunk

GBR wrote:

That is entirely possible... will check it out. By "hidden" damage.. do you mean something that would not show up anywhere else in any other behaviour?

I have frequently been backing up my files. Good reminder, thanks.

Exactly.

I've seen cases where users were using the file without incident, but when I tried a specific operations on the file like a find or a sort, I didn't get the files I should unitil I rebuilt the file's indexes. In another case, the database opened and performed without incident on my Mac and crashed everytime we launched on windows. I traced that one to a corrupted graphic object on one layout. The Mac OS tolerated the corruption when windows did not. Pasting a new copy of the object onto the layout fixed the issue. In other cases, problems did not become visible until I attempted to convert the file to an updated FMP file format and could not convert it.