4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2011 12:06 PM by philmodjunk

Tab Controls in the tab order

crtopher

Title

Tab Controls in the tab order

I have read this post in filemaker forum: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/c969207803

The answer seems to suggest that the tab controls cannot be tabbed to nor edited in the 'set tab order' dialog, which is what i've found in practice. Yet this page here:

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/edit_layout.10.30.html

seems to suggest the 'set tab order' command applies to tab controls (plural) and indeed in FileMakerPro11: The Missing Manual (pg 324 "Gem In The Rough" tip at the bottom of the page) it is stated that "...you can put Tab Controls in the tab order too...the space bar switches tabs".

So what's going on here? Can you have all the Tab Controls assigned a tab order or must you script this to happen?

Cheers, Chris

• 1. Re: Tab Controls in the tab order
          philmodjunk

I can't find a way to get the space bar to switch tabs... Thus I can tab to the first tab in the tab control, but not to subsequent tabs within it. That's just my quick test with FileMaker 11 on a Windows XP system...

• 2. Re: Tab Controls in the tab order
            rjlevesque

Ok, are we talking "Tabbing" to the next field? OR Tabs as in Tab Controls which give you a tabbed interface like a file folder? Because I believe you are getting information about both mixed up here.

• 3. Re: Tab Controls in the tab order
              crtopher

Your right Phil...this is what I have found but I'm reading different things from reputable sources that are either wrong, or I'm not understanding. As it is I would dearly like to have the tab controls (all of them) included in the tab order, rather than scripting to them which just seems slightly awkward or I don't have enough scripting ability to make it seemless. 

rjlevesque, thanks for your response, I don't think i'm confused; I'm talking about both things at the same time...being able to "tab (to the next field)" between tab controls (as in the tabbed interface like a file folder)

cheers

• 4. Re: Tab Controls in the tab order
                philmodjunk

What system are you using? I'm using XP. Perhaps the using the space bar to change tabs works on a mac.