6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 11:45 AM by rickgraham_1

Tab Key Skips Fields That Are Set in Tab Order

EricLangendorff

Title

Tab Key Skips Fields That Are Set in Tab Order

I'm having a very bizarre symptom occur.  I've set the tab order for my layout, and it shows which fields are set in the tab order, but when I go to Browse Mode and move from one field to another with the tab key, it sometimes skips over certain fields that are in the tab order.  It even sometimes skips over repetitions in repeating fields whose tab order was set by double-clicking the set-tab-order arrow for the top repetition.

I've tried manually resetting the tab order.  I've tried disabling script triggers that are in and around those fields.  I've tried copying the fields and puting the replacements in the tab order.  I've tried recreating the fields from scratch and puting the replacements in the tab order.  And I've tried quitting and restarting the program.

Has anyone ever encountered this before, and what can I do to get the proper behavior back?

I'm running FMP Advanced 10.0v3 on a Mac.

• 1. Re: Tab Key Skips Fields That Are Set in Tab Order
          philmodjunk

Are any of the fields calculation fields? Tabbing will skip calculation fields even if they are part of the tab order when you are in browse mode. Also check to make sure that the field's behavior setting on the Inspector's behavior tab permits field entry when in browse mode.

It's also much less likely but not impossible that your layout's tab order is corrupted. I've had this happen to me once. In that case I had to carefully replace the layout with a new one without copying any layout objects from the original layout.

• 2. Re: Tab Key Skips Fields That Are Set in Tab Order
            EricLangendorff

> Are any of the fields calculation fields? Tabbing will skip calculation fields even if they are part of the tab order when you are in browse mode.

None of the ones in the tab order are.  I skipped those manually since I knew they wouldn't require entry by hand anyway.

> Also check to make sure that the field's behavior setting on the Inspector's behavior tab permits field entry when in browse mode.

Checked.  They are Browse-able.

> It's also much less likely but not impossible that your layout's tab order is corrupted. I've had this happen to me once. In that case I had to carefully replace the layout with a new one without copying any layout objects from the original layout.

That's what I was afriad of.  When I saw behavior such as skipping a different repetition of a repeating field when I replaced it with a new instance by hand, I figured there was something pretty weird going on under the hood.

Thanks for the help, though.

• 3. Re: Tab Key Skips Fields That Are Set in Tab Order
              philmodjunk

An OnObjectEnter or OnObjectExit script trigger could also override the specified tab order...

• 4. Re: Tab Key Skips Fields That Are Set in Tab Order
                rjlevesque

I had a similar issue a couple months ago, I fixed it by saving a new copy of my solution and the copy worked fine. Only takes a couple of minutes and doesn't hurt to try...

No idea why it fixed it, just tried it and it worked.

• 5. Re: Tab Key Skips Fields That Are Set in Tab Order
                  EricLangendorff

> An OnObjectEnter or OnObjectExit script trigger could also override the specified tab order...

The only script trigger that's near the fields that get skipped is an OnObjectModify.

> I had a similar issue a couple months ago, I fixed it by saving a new copy of my solution and the copy worked fine. Only takes a couple of minutes and doesn't hurt to try...

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it by copying the file and also by using the Save a Copy As... menu command.  No luck.  You're right, though.  It was definitely worth a try.

Right now I'm in the process of manually recreating the layout.  100+ fields.  Not fun.

Hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

• 6. Re: Tab Key Skips Fields That Are Set in Tab Order
                    rickgraham_1

?This is very weird... I use a masking calculation to put in parenthesis and dash in phone numbers automatically. I have always used this in many files before and was always able to tab into these fields and enter data and then the calculation puts data into another regular phone number field. This has always worked for me perfectly. Now all of a sudden the tab skips these fields and I can't get it to fix. I have another file which is still working perfectly but in this new file it refuses to work. I tried making a copy of the file but still gets skipped. I made a new layout and pasted in the same layout again and it worked but after renaming it to original layout name, it fails again. This is very frustrating to say the least. Any suggestions?