1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 23, 2010 4:59 PM by philmodjunk

Table Consolidation from external data sources

databasedishusa

Title

Table Consolidation from external data sources

This has been touched before in this forum, but the answers are not clear.

I have a FM 11 database with several external FM data sources/tables. I want to consolidate them all into my master file. Each time I follow the instructions on importing tables or copying tables I get the broken relationships <UNRELATED TABLE> in my master layouts where a field used to be. How do I move a table over from an external data source and maintain relationships, value lists, scripts etc. Is this even possible?  This should be an area that Filemaker addressed for people that upgrade from earlier versions.

• 1. Re: Table Consolidation from external data sources
          philmodjunk

After you import the table, you need to open Manage | Database | Relationships, find the table occurrence that is the table of reference for you layout (it's listed in Layout setup...). Double click it and select your newly imported table as the data source table.

If you have calculations in your imported table that refer to other tables, you'll have to open and fix each of these (they'll be enclosed in /* comment brackets */ ) after you've finished importing tables and fixing any relationships.