1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 3:36 PM by davidanders

Table design problem.

LuukvanSummeren

Title

Table design problem.

Dear all,

In the student laboratories of the university i work every undergraduate studente gets assigned a locker for storing glassware and other materials. We have a filemaker database were we keep track of de students info and results. in this databse i would like to add a layout with a map of all lockers. on this layout i would like to have a field per locker in which we can select a students name from a dropdown menu linking a student to a locker. Every locker can only be assigned to one student and every student should only have one locker. In my database I allready have a table with all students  but im struggeling with how to connect a student to a locker and display all these lockers in one layout... I could make a table with lockers linken them to a students ID but the i would have 400 record, can i put these one one layout? The other way it hought about was to make a table with 400 fields (we have 400 lockers) and make one record where each student gets linked to a locker by the field name, however then i dont know how to get this information into other layouts.

I would very much like to hear if any of you has an idea about how to solve this.

Thanks very much in advance

Luke

• 1. Re: Table design problem.
          davidanders

I think it would be similar to seating in a performance venue (lockers for you) for many events (years, for you) with many tickets (students for you).

The seats are static, the tickets very to each performance are bought by different attendees.