AnsweredAssumed Answered

Table Design question

Question asked by mblogsd on Aug 19, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 by SteveMartino

Title

Table Design question

While I have some experience with databases, I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the best way to approach this portion of a solution I'm working on.  I'm working on a solution related to wastewater operations. The part I'm currently working on is for sampling.  There are a number of different sample parameters that can be required for each location, and each are usually different requirements.  Each parameter normally has different frequency requirements as well.  My question is, would it work best to have a table of all possible parameters with the ability to select frequency as needed, and then a separate table for results, or would it work better to have a separate table for each parameter, the ability to select frequency, and separate table for each parameter's results?  While I believe either approach would ultimately work, I'm looking for some input from the pros out there for reasons one way or the other.  In my mind, having a separate table for each parameter seems like it would be more flexible, but worry there could be a reason I'm overlooking for not doing it this way.  I can fill in any information gaps that are needed for help coming to a decision.  Thanks in advance as I appreciate any input as I just can't seem to come up with a reason to go one way or the other.

Outcomes