4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 7:12 AM by gczychi

Table field turns into a variable -- what is going on here?

gczychi

Title

Table field turns into a variable -- what is going on here?

Hi,

this is a little bit weird and I haven't sen this before.

I define a field  Person::Adresszeile_1

When I close the Database Management window, everything works as usual. But when I open an Edit Expression dialog box (any will do), add this field to a function, it gets automagically converted into:

Person::${Adresszeile_1}

What exactly is happening here? I am quite sure that characters, numbers and the underscore are perfectly valid for field names. I would love to know what Filemaker 12 is doing here.

Maybe this trick (?) can be used somewhere else to reference a field, where you only can reference variables? Imagine for a moment what this could do in a Let statement, where you can only assign values to variables…

Thanks a lot for any explanation!

Gary

• 1. Re: Table field turns into a variable -- what is going on here?
          philmodjunk

And when you named the field, did you get a message warning you about the characters used as part of the name?

If you use a word or character that could cause FileMaker to misinterpet the part of the field name as an operator or a number, it will automatically enclose the field in ${    } to keep that from happening. You should, however, get a warning message when you name the field in a way that requires that added notation.

But just examining the field name that you've posted doesn't show anything that would require such as far as I can tell.

• 2. Re: Table field turns into a variable -- what is going on here?
            gczychi

I made some more tests and it gets weirder and weirder…

I created a new field with  Adresszeile_6  => no problems creating it and NO change into a ${…}

I renamed the existing field Adresszeile_1 into Adresszeile1 => no problems creating it and NO change into a ${…}

I renamed it back into Adresszeile_1 and voilà => dialog pops up saying problematic character !

I renamed it again, this time entering each character carefully on the keyboard (to see if an invisible character would be inserted) => problematic character!

I renamed it into Adresszeile_7 => no problems creating it and NO change into a ${…}

I renamed it into Adresszeile_71 => no problems creating it and NO change into a ${…}

I renamed it back into Adresszeile_1 and voilà => dialog pops up saying problematic character !

Is this weird or what?  :-o

• 3. Re: Table field turns into a variable -- what is going on here?
              philmodjunk

Do you have any custom functions defined? Could one be named "Adresszeile_1"?

• 4. Re: Table field turns into a variable -- what is going on here?
                gczychi

OMG!

You are right! So stupid of me.... 

Sorry about that! I just didn't remember.

Thanks so much for your help!

Gary